Elie

Family Tree: Effects?

Question

Hi Everyone~

I am Elie and I am a new member. I have been surfing the net for a couple of days now about this concern but I couldn't find any answer. Maybe some of can help? So the thing is, I am in a relationship with my first cousin once removed. Legally, I believe we are kinda clean since we are already on the 5th degree. But (and this is also my question), if we have a child, how would he/she be categorized? I mean, to which generation would he/she belong? In our family, I am from the 4th generation (from our common ancestor) while he is from the 3rd generation. So, will the child belong to the 5th generation? And if we get married, how would we relate to our respective family members? For example, my father is his first cousin. So if we get married, he will also be his father-in-law? Is that correct?

I hope someone can help me make this clear. Thank you very much!

3 answers to this question

13 hours ago, Elie said:

Hi Everyone~

I am Elie and I am a new member. I have been surfing the net for a couple of days now about this concern but I couldn't find any answer. Maybe some of can help? So the thing is, I am in a relationship with my first cousin once removed. Legally, I believe we are kinda clean since we are already on the 5th degree. But (and this is also my question), if we have a child, how would he/she be categorized? I mean, to which generation would he/she belong? In our family, I am from the 4th generation (from our common ancestor) while he is from the 3rd generation. So, will the child belong to the 5th generation? And if we get married, how would we relate to our respective family members? For example, my father is his first cousin. So if we get married, he will also be his father-in-law? Is that correct?

I hope someone can help me make this clear. Thank you very much!

hi elie :) if you two have a child together, only the nearest kinship would be applicable. so he (or she) would simply be your child... and your cousin's child. the answer you're looking for would be first cousin twice removed... but like i said, that relationship is not one that would be counted or considered for any purpose other than curiosity's sake. but your child isn't going to be a freak show in a traveling circus, so that's just useless information!

if you two get married, his dad will be your father-in-law. the fact that he's also your first cousin once removed is irrelevant. your family dynamic has changed. for the record, i'm also married to my first cousin once removed. his dad is my first cousin. we've been married for 19 years... i never could wrap my head around calling him "dad", so i just call him by his first name. but then again, i never called my in-laws from my previous (unrelated) marriage mom or dad either. 

your child would only considered the 'grandchild' of your parents and your cousin's. likewise, your child would only be the niece or nephew to any of your siblings or your cousin's... no need to count the generations and try to sort out the degrees of kinship or who is once, twiced, or not-at-all removed. always remember the nearest degree is the only one that counts. so the relational stuff would be exactly as it would be if the father were not related to you at all.

hope that helped!

• Like 2

On 4/28/2018 at 6:57 AM, LadyC said:

hi elie :) if you two have a child together, only the nearest kinship would be applicable. so he (or she) would simply be your child... and your cousin's child. the answer you're looking for would be first cousin twice removed... but like i said, that relationship is not one that would be counted or considered for any purpose other than curiosity's sake. but your child isn't going to be a freak show in a traveling circus, so that's just useless information!

if you two get married, his dad will be your father-in-law. the fact that he's also your first cousin once removed is irrelevant. your family dynamic has changed. for the record, i'm also married to my first cousin once removed. his dad is my first cousin. we've been married for 19 years... i never could wrap my head around calling him "dad", so i just call him by his first name. but then again, i never called my in-laws from my previous (unrelated) marriage mom or dad either. 

your child would only considered the 'grandchild' of your parents and your cousin's. likewise, your child would only be the niece or nephew to any of your siblings or your cousin's... no need to count the generations and try to sort out the degrees of kinship or who is once, twiced, or not-at-all removed. always remember the nearest degree is the only one that counts. so the relational stuff would be exactly as it would be if the father were not related to you at all.

hope that helped!

Thank you so much!! Yes, you helped a lot. And having someone to share this with also helped me A LOT. Thank you so much!

i just re-read this and realized i didn't answer one of the questions... that being which generation your child would belong to.... for purposes of doing genealogy, it would depend on which branch of the family tree was being done!  if the genealogy was on your side of the family, the maternal line, your child would be 5th generation. but doing genealogy from the paternal line, the child would be 6th generation. i know it sounds complicated, and i am not into genealogy (that's my brother's job ;) ) but it's not uncommon. in fact, every single person alive has a family tree that has twisted branches in it LOL. seriously, EVERY genealogy does. sometimes it's several generations back, sometimes it's not, but it's always there.