RSCattle

Marriage and children

Hello everyone,

I am new to this group and I'm intrigued to see so many people in a similar situation. A little background on me, my family isn't big on getting together or staying close so I've visited on occasion but never stayed long than a weekend, until 2010. I graduated high school and moved to nebraska to start a homesead, I know sounds mid- 1800's right! My mom's sister lives there. So I went to college and after graduating I bought 30 cows! Then I met her son. We became very close, we worked together on the ranch and farmed together. After awhile we moved in together and life has been wonderful. 

I need advice on one, I want to get married, but it' illegal in our state, and we can't move we have too much invested here in nebraska.

Two, I would like to have children and I know the percentage of defects are relatively low. But has anyone delt with a genetic counselor? What was your experience? Did it change your mind on children?

Thank you 

RScattle

I just spent 10 mins double checking the laws for NE. It appears you can leave the state and marry in a state that allows cousin marriages -- then return to NE legally married. Cousins are not defined as incestuous, so no criminal laws to worry about.

You could run this by a family law attorney.

As for genetic counseling, I do not recommend it unless you are tormented about something, for example there is a weird intolerable genetic disorder in your family. Even if the geneticist said you only have a 70 percent chance of having a healthy baby, would that stop you? I think it is a waste of time and money frankly.

• Like 1

On 5/19/2018 at 5:19 AM, KC said:

I just spent 10 mins double checking the laws for NE. It appears you can leave the state and marry in a state that allows cousin marriages -- then return to NE legally married. Cousins are not defined as incestuous, so no criminal laws to worry about.

You could run this by a family law attorney.

As for genetic counseling, I do not recommend it unless you are tormented about something, for example there is a weird intolerable genetic disorder in your family. Even if the geneticist said you only have a 70 percent chance of having a healthy baby, would that stop you? I think it is a waste of time and money frankly.

Thank you for your reply!