Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sjjayx

The Old & New Test

This topic has had no activity within the past six months. It is recommended that you start a new topic instead of replying to old topics.

9 posts in this topic

According to my family. Loving a cousin as a soul mate does not belong in the new testiment. Its sick its twisted & your a monster to believe so.

What I am stating is that some of family say the laws of God does not aplly to the New Testiment. So, it is sick that I would love my cousin as I do today. In the New Testiment or any other belief does not forbid it. Which I understand clearly.

actually, right and wrong is decided by God, the author of the Bible, which is a collection of 66 books. and the heart and mind can be deceptive. usually are, for that matter.

BUT... sjjayx, God is the same yesterday, today, and forever, is He not? that's what scripture says, and since scripture is breathed by God Himself, it never lies. God's son, Jesus, was with God from the beginning of the creation of earth, and according to God, Jesus is literally "the Word of God"... every aspect of creation came through the spoken word of God. in other words, what God wanted, Jesus verbally commanded, and it occurred. God also says that He sent Jesus, His son to fulfill the law, not to change it. the only OT laws that were "overturned" by the NT were ones that pertained to the prior covenant. under that covenant, before Jesus shed His blood to give eternal life to those who believe on Him, they had to rely on blood sacrifices of animals to achieve a right relationship with God. Jesus made that unnecessary.

All laws not pertaining to the previous covenant between God and man never changed. any and all laws regarding sexual relations remain intact and in effect. relationships forbidden under mosaic law (levitical law) are confirmed as still forbidden by Jesus in the NT... i.e acts of homosexuality (both lesbian and gay) are specifically addressed in the NT.

Now remember, Jesus is the literal Word of God. He took on a physical, human body that lasted only 33 years before the crucifixion and resurrection. If Jesus was the Word spoken to moses, the same Word that became known as mosaic or levitical law, then that Word is established for all of time on earth, unless otherwise retracted by Jesus verbally during His 33 years of living.

it's sad that so many people claim that the NT forbids cousin marriage when it does not. but the truth is, they're simply misinformed. most will probably never search the scriptures or seek God's truth through prayer. they'll stand on the shaky ground of political correctness and public opinion. that's something THEY have to take up with God. it may cause you a lot of headaches and grief because of their objections, but don't let their problem become yours. :)

What is right or wrong isn't decided by a 2000 year old book, but what is in your heart and mind.

My thoughts exactly.

One example is how anyone can say same-sex relationships are wrong in today's world is beyond me, but it seems LadyC may have just said that.

What you need to remember is that God's law encompass both moral laws and levitical laws. The moral laws of God evident in the OT are still in force today (do not murder, do not commit adultery...) but the levitical laws are the laws that Jesus' death and resurrection replaced.  No longer do we have to make animal sacrifices, release a scapegoat, avoid eating certain animals, or have a priest intercede for us in order to come near to the throne of God or be in a right relationship with God. 

Matthew 5:27-28:  ?You have heard that it was said, ?You shall not commit adultery. But I tell you that anyone who looks at a woman lustfully has already committed adultery with her in his heart."  Here Jesus is not obliterating the OT law, but he is taking the moral law of God to a higher plane.

Matthew 5:17:  "Do not think I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them, but to fulfill them."  Here Jesus is telling us that all those levitical laws that separated mankind from him are no longer necessary because of the sacrifice of Jesus

If indeed cousin relationships/marriages were an abomination to God, you can be sure that he would have told us so.  God does not leave us to wonder and guess about what he wants from us.  We have taken a man-made law (it is illegal to marry a first cousin) and made it into a God-ordained law without looking at the facts and we have mixed up the two, thinking they are one and the same. 

Ultimately, you have to decide if you are going to live all of your life under your family's misguided interpretation of scripture or if you are going to live your own life with your own relationship to God.  Having come from a very strict religious upbringing, I can say that the choices I have made in my life have not always jibed with many members of my family, but this is my life and these are the choices I have made and I am living with a clear conscience before my God.  Over the years some family members have softened their religious views, some have not, but one thing that we have going for us is that we love each other.  Love overlooks a multitude of sins (I Peter 4:8).  So, if your family is truly committed to the laws of God, they will be committed to loving you no matter what choices you make. 

My thoughts exactly.

One example is how anyone can say same-sex relationships are wrong in today's world is beyond me, but it seems LadyC may have just said that.

i don't have to say anything. the SUBJECT of this post was about what the BIBLE has to say about COUSINS marrying. it was you, anonymous, who took it off track and said something totally off topic.

that being said, this site is owned and staffed by people who have a biblical world view. whether we always agree or disagree on a personal level with God's rules and regulations, we recognize that His ways are not always OUR ways, and that even when we disagree with Him, it doesn't change what He says.... and what He says is, in the eternal sense of things, is all that is relevant.

You shouldn't let other peoples views/problem become yours. As LadyC said, the bible allows cousins to be together and thats the main thing  :smiley:  Just because your family is against it, doesn't mean they are right  :smiley:

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0