KC

Ragamuffin

This message is mainly for Christie, but it is for everybody too. I know she enjoys Christian movies. I was wondering if anyone has seen a movie about Brennan Manning or even Rich Mullins? I've seen the one about Mullins and it is inspiring. Brennan is a bigger-than-life-drunk that has inspired me and countless souls out there. What a wonderful story that literally brought tears to my eyes.  I don't care if he is Catholic 😍 I'm certainly a "ragamuffin" inside and out.

Also, what are some of your favorite Christian movies? Maybe I will watch them. Mine is Goodfellas! I mean I really don't watch them. I'm not trying to be funny but so many are just low budget and awful.

I see a couple of movies about Mullins and one for $3.99 for Brennan on Prime Movies. Check it.

A friend of mine started playing some youtube videos of Manning and I started writing stuff down. He is a really profound guy who does not wear a mask. I've never worn a mask either, but it hasn't exactly boosted my career.

i have seen ragamuffin. in fact, i think i own that one. love the story, because i always loved rich mullins. in fact, i remember when he died. i was on my way home from church one morning when i heard the news on the radio. i had to pull off the road and cry.  anyway, yes, i loved the story, but it was poorly produced. poorly edited. dang, his hair length was so inconsistent. one scene he'd have short hair, the next it would be long, then in the next it would be short again. i know movies aren't filmed chronologically, but that was downright confusing.

i have not yet seen the one about brennan, although i have wanted to. i guess i forgot about it while i was waiting for it to be released. that was probably a few years ago. 

i did see another one once about rich. it was a documentary. a very, very good documentary. i should watch it again.

i have a lot of favorite christian movies.

• God's Not Dead (especially 1 and 3)
  • Woodlawn (True story, football theme)
  • When The Game Stands Still (also true story, football theme)
  • Facing The Giants (football theme, good story, B acting)
  • The War Room (not quite B acting, but maybe just an A-)
  • The Case For Christ (true story)
  • Do You Believe (LOVED this one)
  • I Can Only Imagine (true story of the lead singer in mercy me.)
  • Meet The Browns (Tyler Perry... complete with Madea)
  • I Can Do Bad All By Myself (also Tyler Perry, also complete with Madea. Strong subject matter though.)
  • To Save A Life (A- acting, great story, not suitable for younger kids though if anyone with kids is reading this)
  • Faith Like Potatoes (LOVED this one!!! True story about a Scottish drunk-turned-evangelist in south africa. heavy accents.)
  • most movies produced by PureFlix entertainment are very good.

Check out the Dove Channel. I think right now they are running about $5 a month, but sometimes you can get specials for $24/year. they were running one of those at Christmas, but it looks like that one is over. Pureflix and Up Faith and Family are also good subscription streaming services for christian content.

I just watched "God's not dead - a light into the darkness." Is that the same one? I also watched the doc on Mullins. It wasn't as good as the one that featured some of his music but it was interesting. All of the docs referred to Mullin's problems and I keep wanting to find out what they were!

Yes, a light into darkness. That's the third one. I think it was my favorite!

I must not have seen the same doc on Rich. I loved the one I saw, him working so hard with the Native Americans, teaching the kids to play the dulcimer, etc. As for his problems, Ragamuffin highlighted his struggle with alcohol and depression, anger issues, a foul mouth, and the broken heart over the girl he left behind. I was pretty shocked. I had only known the 'sanitized' version... The singer/songwriter that could make Bible stories into poetic awesomeness. The free-spirited artist that performed in bare feet and cut off jeans. After seeing Ragamuffin, I did some digging and discovered that he really was all that the movie portrayed him to be. A deeply flawed man with a heart for Jesus and a phenomenal talent. 

His story reminds me a lot of Scott Stapp from Creed. Sometimes I believe that God extends the most love to those who are the biggest screw-ups. 

Dove I'd still doing

the year for 24.99 sale. At least according to their fb page. Promo code deckthehalls2018. 

Yeah I remember the doc you are talking about. It was very good. It seems like it is hard to find anybody who will say anything bad about Mullins lol. That's a good thing but everyone makes it clear that he had problems lol. I like the whole Ragamuffin concept because I never really feel that I fit in in church. I go because I feel invited by the Lord, honestly. Without that, I wouldn't go.

I don't think I saw the film on Brennan, but it was just a youtube video. If I can find it, I will post it. It's probably better than the movie, which is only getting fair reviews.

when i first saw the movie, i didn't believe rich had really had such a potty mouth and so many problems with drinking, so i started running google searches. what i found, and i don't recall where, were a few comments in discussions about the movie by former bandmates and friends who seemed to confirm those things.