• Announcements

• KC

Get Smart on the Web   09/16/2016

Be informed on better ways to stay safe on the web -- Source: Mozilla
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
LadyC

How I Live Now (cousin romance of sorts)

This topic has had no activity within the past six months. It is recommended that you start a new topic instead of replying to old topics.

6 posts in this topic

I'm putting this here temporarily so that it will be seen by more of you.... i'll move it to the proper forum later. it's a movie, based on a novel. i did the "look inside" the novel at amazon and am glad i chose to watch the movie instead, because the author has the poorest writing style i've ever seen. it's got a lot of fabulous reviews though (like 150 of them) so i guess most people get over the run-on sentences with a major lack of punctuation.

i reviewed the movie. you can read it here. it's still at the theaters, but you can rent it on amazon anyway. it just costs a little more to rent it. once it's out of theaters, the rental price will come down.

oh what the heck, i'll copy the review here. but please go there and comment on it or give it a thumbs up for being helpful!

Unlike one of the other reviewers, I didn't find anything endearing about the director's style. In fact, the movie seemed almost as though it had been filmed entirely with a handheld video camera. BUT, I really enjoyed the story.

"Daisy" is a 15 year old typical teenage girl... angry, hateful, and dealing with a lot of emotional issues that present themselves as an eating disorder. Her father has apparently started a new family, and sent her to England to spend a summer with her aunt and three cousins. It never says for sure, but I am under the impression that the Aunt was the sister of Daisy's mom, who had died during childbirth. But the Aunt is never around, and Daisy learns to fit in with her three cousins; Piper, the youngest of the three and the only girl, Isaac, the middle child and the only one whose age is actually known (14) and the attractive "Eddie", who is more of a parent to his siblings than their mother is.

When a Nuclear explosion occurs miles away in London, and their idyllic countryside becomes occupied by an unidentified military presence, the youngsters are left to fend for themselves. Daisy's aunt is away on business and the sitter never arrives. For a short time, the more-or-less orphaned kids become a solid family on their own, with Daisy and Eddie falling for each other, while caring for the younger children. The cousin romance angle is portrayed as both natural and innocent. But when war separates them, they must struggle against all odds to survive and find their way home.

A note for parents: There are some mild sexual situations, although they are not nearly as graphic as what is seen in most movies these days. There is some occasional strong language... not often, but when it's there, it's THERE. And there are some violent scenes which, like the sex and the language, are much milder than most movies, but still more than what younger children need to be watching.

I've added it to my wish list on amazon, its not released on dvd until 10th January/February here in the UK but i'll definitely buy it on dvd once its released  :smiley:  Sounds like a good movie to watch.

definitely interesting. can you stream it? it's available to watch online even now, at least in america...

definitely interesting. can you stream it? it's available to watch online even now, at least in america...

I'll try and see if I can stream it  :smiley:  If I can't, I will wait for the release of the dvd.

since gotitgood has been busy posting links to all things cousins, i thought i'd bump this one up. it's really a good movie, although it's not directed well (at least not in my opinion)

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0