Michael and Angie

Help us Change the Law in Utah

please help us change Utah law, to allow Michael and I, first cousins, to marry! We just got married in Colorado yesterday but Utah won’t recognize our marriage. Please take a minute to sign our petition! We currently have less than 50 and we need 1,000! Thank you so much!! 

https://www.thepetitionsite.com/954/693/035/allow-first-cousins-to-marry-in-utah/?taf_id=61492783&cid=fb_na#bbfb=514012378

F5E66A63-16AE-452D-BBAF-2857DA00B4D5.jpeg

F89BF942-F2B4-4474-8EF9-5578D98FDDB1.jpeg

• Like 1

Guest Albert
3 hours ago, Michael and Angie said:

please help us change Utah law, to allow Michael and I, first cousins, to marry! We just got married in Colorado yesterday but Utah won’t recognize our marriage. Please take a minute to sign our petition! We currently have less than 50 and we need 1,000! Thank you so much!! 

https://www.thepetitionsite.com/954/693/035/allow-first-cousins-to-marry-in-utah/?taf_id=61492783&cid=fb_na#bbfb=514012378

Anyone can sign, not just a Utah or US resident? Because I'm neither.

I’ve been seeing articles about you all over my local news. The comments are as one might expect. Will definitely sign. The Utah “void” clause needs to go but either way I see this as a violation of your 14th Amendment rights.

Congratulations and best wishes!

CM

• Like 1

Best of luck, I hope that you get enough traction to get things changed. Forbidding your marriage is just stupid. You have my full support though as I'm not a Utah resident I don't see how signing the petition would do any good.

2 hours ago, ragingdesire61 said:

Best of luck, I hope that you get enough traction to get things changed. Forbidding your marriage is just stupid. You have my full support though as I'm not a Utah resident I don't see how signing the petition would do any good.

The petition was golden. It caught the attention of the press and that is what it typically takes to get a law changed.  Maybe this couple will go after Texas now LOL

• Like 1

6 hours ago, KC said:

The petition was golden. It caught the attention of the press and that is what it typically takes to get a law changed.  Maybe this couple will go after Texas now LOL

True enough. I don't know if any of these laws have actually ever been challenged in court but it seems to me that they might be pretty easy to get tossed out. Only thing is it can take some coin to fight the legal battle unless some motivated attorney wanting to make a name for themselves takes it pro bono

On 3/7/2019 at 5:09 PM, ragingdesire61 said:

True enough. I don't know if any of these laws have actually ever been challenged in court but it seems to me that they might be pretty easy to get tossed out. Only thing is it can take some coin to fight the legal battle unless some motivated attorney wanting to make a name for themselves takes it pro bono

Similar laws were changed by Skinner v. Oklahoma and Loving v. Virginia. The state has to prove a compelling interest in the prohibition of any marriage. Given that the state does not prohibit women over 35 or women who smoke from getting married or having children and given that the state has almost completely disconnected marriage from child bearing, they would have a very hard time proving a compelling interest. The only challenge is finding an organization (ie ACLU) willing to invest the legal resources to defend such a small minority in a topic that the overwhelming majority considers taboo.

• Like 1

Guest Guest Jamie

Hey all! 

I signed! You might recognize me, I'm 'Twobitsgirl' but I might have to change it or get a new account. My e-mail was hacked so I don't know if my e-mail can be changed to my current one or if I should just go ahead and make a new account. 

Anyway, oh boy...one thing you don't want to do if you don't totally think through and prepare yourself for the opposition is share it on social media...you don't even have to say anything...just share it. The hate is so real and intense, it's ridiculous. I sincerely hope that your marriage is able to get recognized in the state of Utah and who knows, maybe the petition will gain enough traction to knock down the barriers of cousin love. ...perhaps start a chain of events in the favor of a lot of cousin romances! I'm very excited for this!

in the past, the ACLU as a whole has had no interest in helping us. however, a few years have passed and the whole idea of what's acceptable and what's not has shifted. so it will be interesting to see if the ACLU would be willing to take this on now! 

• Upvote 1

We were raised LDS and today we attended church, hoping to meet with our ecclesiastical leader to determine the church’s official position on cousin marriage. We hope to be able to communicate a sense of urgency to the LDS voting majority, get this on the 2019 ballot, and passed. If we can emphasize that we are “living in sin”, according to church doctrine, we hope the LDS voters will want to help us be legitimate as soon as possible. Thank you all for signing our petition and taking interest in our story 🙏🏿🙏🏿 🙏🏿 We are honored to publicly represent you couples, and hopefully we can represent you honorably. 

3469A55B-36F5-43AE-83BB-DE390ADD0E9C.jpeg

E7594622-BB65-4608-B12F-B1E40F457A5C.jpeg