• Announcements

• KC

Get Smart on the Web   09/16/2016

Be informed on better ways to stay safe on the web -- Source: Mozilla
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Missy

Genetic Sexual Attraction

This topic has had no activity within the past six months. It is recommended that you start a new topic instead of replying to old topics.

6 posts in this topic

Genetic sexual attraction (GSA) is sexual attraction between close relatives, such as siblings or half-siblings, a parent and offspring, or first and second cousins, who first meet as adults.

The term was coined in the US in the late 1980s by Barbara Gonyo, the founder of Truth Seekers In Adoption, a Chicago-based support group for adoptees and their new-found relatives.

Contributing factors

People tend to select mates that are like themselves, this is known as assortative mating. This holds both for physical appearances and mental traits. People commonly rank faces similar to their own as more attractive, trustworthy, etc. than average. [3] However, Bereczkei (2004) attributes this in part to childhood imprinting on the opposite-sex parent. As for mental traits, one study found a correlation of 0.403 between husbands and wives, with husbands averaging about 2 IQ points higher. The study also reported a correlation of 0.233 for extraversion and 0.235 for inconsistency (using Eysenck's Personality Inventory). A review of many previous found these numbers to be quite common.[4]

Heredity produces substantial physical and mental similarity between close relatives. Shared interests and personality traits are commonly considered desirable in a mate. The heritability of these qualities is a matter of debate but estimates are that IQ is about 80% heritable, and the big five personality factors are about 50% heritable. These data are for adults in western countries.[5]

For the above reasons, genetic sexual attraction is presumed to occur as a consequence of genetic relatives meeting as adults, typically as a consequence of adoption. Although this is a rare consequence of adoptive reunions, the large number of adoptive reunions in recent years means that a larger number of people are affected.[6] If a sexual relationship is entered, it is known as incest.

GSA is rare between people raised together in early childhood due to a reverse sexual imprinting known as the Westermarck effect, which desensitizes them to later close sexual attraction. It is hypothesized that this effect evolved to prevent inbreeding.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genetic_sexual_attraction

Further Reading

http://www.psyc.nott.ac.uk/research/vision/jwp/papers/pentonvoak1999.pdf

Well, we all know that wikipedia is the definitive authority on all matters.

If a sexual relationship is entered, it is known as incest.

Characterizing a sexual relationship between 1st or 2nd cousins as incest is a label that most people here would rail against.  And although GSA does represent some of the cousin relationships on CC, from what I have read of other people's postings, GSA is not what we are dealing with here.  Most people here (most, not all) are fully aware of their cousin status when the initial attraction occurs. 

Well, we all know that wikipedia is the definitive authority on all matters.

Characterizing a sexual relationship between 1st or 2nd cousins as incest is a label that most people here would rail against.  And although GSA does represent some of the cousin relationships on CC, from what I have read of other people's postings, GSA is not what we are dealing with here.  Most people here (most, not all) are fully aware of their cousin status when the initial attraction occurs.

I totally agree, I was always aware that my 1st cousin is my 1st cousin but its gaps of years in ever seeing him. My other cousins (male) are good looking but I get a yuck feeling of ever having an idea of sleeping with them  :laugh:  Not the other cousin I'm attracted to though  :smiley:

I know it doesn't completely fit with everything here, I found it interesting though about how it discusses how we perceive attractiveness with similar physical/mental traits, etc. Plus the article listed at the bottom is a fascinating read about this phenomenon as well. Food for thought, taken with a grain of salt of course...that is all! 

I knew my cousin was a 1st cousin but I had only met her a couple of times over 40+ years. The first time I saw her I was 12-ish then again in my 30's and once more in my 40's. Every time I saw her I melted.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0