Jimandpam

Marriage in the Military

So many questions. But first let me give you an insite on our relationship. We are 1st cousins once removed, currently living in our home state of ohio, where marriage is prohibited. We have been together for 5 years now, and he is in the military. We have contemplated getting married in a state that allows marriage but were concerned with what the marriage certificate would say. Like is it stamped "cousin marriage " or ? Are their any red flags? Our family is aware of our relationship and have been very supportive however we do not want to risk his job.

Perhaps wait for what others have to say, but I think you should find a lawyer who can answer both your questions.  Perhaps a lawyer could answer your military question too.  Good luck :)

Ambra

I live in Florida - cousin marriages are legal here.  there would be no no notation of "cousin marriage" on the certificate.  If you want to make sure, call the Clerk of Court in any county and ask to make sure.  You could do that in any state for verification.  No need to pay an attorney fee.

Good luck.

HUGS

Nat

17 hours ago, Jimandpam said:

Like is it stamped "cousin marriage " or ? Are their any red flags? Our family is aware of our relationship and have been very supportive however we do not want to risk his job.

The suggestion of a lawyer was to try and find out if cousin marriage would effect his job in the military.  I'm in Canada, and in my province, one can phone a lawyer and the first half hour is free.  Check to see if you have something like that in your State with your law society.  If a lawyer could not answer your question about cousin marriage affecting his military job, perhaps the lawyer would know where you could get that answer.

Ambra

As someone who lives in Ohio and married my first cousin in another state: no, there is nothing about your marriage certificate that should indicate your biological relationship. Ohio accepts marriages from other states regardless of whether they would give a certificate for that marriage. So legally (and I'm not a lawyer, just well-informed on this issue) you should be fine.