<?php echo esc_attr( get_bloginfo( 'name' ) ); ?>
Sign in to follow this  
OpenUmbrella

Taboo

How do you all get past the taboo of being a cousin couple? Like being rejected and not liked by the world. Ive kept up with the Utah couple and wow are people mean. I must live in a bubble as I didnt know that many people are against it. Even though its been proven its not bad geneticly.  Im finding it really hard here lately! I could use advice as Im really struggling!

4 hours ago, OpenUmbrella said:

How do you all get past the taboo of being a cousin couple? Like being rejected and not liked by the world. Ive kept up with the Utah couple and wow are people mean. I must live in a bubble as I didnt know that many people are against it. Even though its been proven its not bad geneticly.  Im finding it really hard here lately! I could use advice as Im really struggling!

Hmm.. Why are they going to be mean? Just because you guys are cousins? Possible...but sounds incredulous at the same time.

Usually, it's a character issue. Either they are jerks or you got some character flaws -- it almost never about your relationship, right? Anyways, the taboo will always going to be there. How long have you guys been a couple, though?

Pooch

No they ARE mean ., down right cruel to Michael and Angie the couple from Utah. Ive seen the comments made to them. She handles it quite well though. Better than i would. We have been married 12 years. 

We are second cousins, married 15 years. No problems with family, except for a few comments in fun.

We just don't announce it to the world.  It isn't any of business of others unless we want them to know.

I'm not sure what you are struggling with, but if you have been married that long, something must be 

working. Did your families have any problem with your relationship? Personally speaking, you may be 

borrowing trouble where there is none. Because the Utah couple chose to be so public, doesn't mean

you have too. Of course many of those cruel/mean comments that are made toward them are  behind

the anonymity  of the internet and very well might not be so cruel/mean in a face to face situation.  Also 

most of them are not aware of the state laws and biblical recognition of cousin couple relationships. They

speak from ignorance of the correct information.

Don't let the negativity integrate into your relationship. At the end of the day they get no say in your life.

Best wishes as you work through our struggles.

• Like 1

One person had a major problem but has since...i guess got use to it? We choose not to tell people but I often wonder how the community would react,  it almost feels like im holding on to a deep shameful secret if that makes sense. Even though I never have felt ashamed. I didnt think it was looked so down upon. The people that like me now could turn so quick. Idk just thoughts that are now stuck circulating. Romalee your words make so much sense though thank you. 

That sounds just awful that people today can voice such hostile negativity. I would say "Just ignore it" but I can imagine that after a while, and after the consistency of that kind of negativity; it just gets you down.

So understandably you are struggling lately; I think you've done the right thing by firstly talking about it; that helps; and just to let you know that you are not alone.

When life gets me down, or people for that matter, I try to focus on the things that really matter to me; I find that helps too :) Kinda puts things into perspective.

So yeah....talk about it...and focus on whats important to you in life; and if possible; cut the haters loose from your life.

• Upvote 1

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this