Sign in to follow this  
Toy

How is your Life

Question

I've never cared what others think. I've always lived my life as I wanted. But lately some comments bother me. I don't know why. 

Where I'm from lawmakers really don't care about marriage. The law says parent-offspring and siblings can't marry. I'm married to my mother's first cousin (her mother and my mother's mother were siblings). The wedding was a nice small one. Few of our relatives and fewer friends were invited guests. Next October will be our first anniversary. But since our wedding relationship with our relatives have become, lets just say, lighter. We don't care. We have ourselves. 

My mother has married her uncle's son. It was my mother's third marriage and so is his. Among relatives people make jokes. Since childhood I've thick skin. I don't care. 

Lately, a lot of things are bothering me. My mother's husband has children from previous marriages. They don't like us. I mean they don't talk to me or my mother. They were fine but now they have grown up and found something about us to hate. We are no longer invited to any of the family events. Only my mother's husband gets the invitation.

My wife has a three years old daughter from her previous marriage. A bundle of joy. Sometime I wonder what would she think when she would start to understand things... Last week she had fever. I took her to our family doctor. The doctor is a friend of mine. She was in our wedding. During our conversation, she said "people in marriages like yours should be very careful...." Then she paused and said, "I forgot, she is not your daughter...". 

Yesterday, one of my uncles' wife (my mother's brother's wife) came to visit. My uncles don't talk to us (reason is property inheritance issue). She is a nice person. A bit jolly. Before leaving she told me that she was surprised that I and my wife were still together. It pinched me inside. I wanted to say something. But I just smiled and told her we were happy to be together.    

Small things, here and there, are disturbing me. I've talked to my mother. She told me to focus on what we have, all the good things, good moments. 

I'm curious people who are in relationships with cousins.... how are you guys doing? I am assuming most of you are in happy happy joy joy state?

0 answers to this question

There have been no answers to this question yet