<?php echo esc_attr( get_bloginfo( 'name' ) ); ?>
The #1 Writing Tool
clumsilycopious256

Cousin Marriages on Leviticus 18

I noticed that there seems to be confusion among Christians in regards to cousin marriages. I am going to quote the bible (NIV 18 6:21), focusing on the areas of kin.

“‘No one is to approach any close relative to have sexual relations. I am the Lord.

“‘Do not dishonor your father by having sexual relations with your mother. She is your mother; do not have relations with her.

“‘Do not have sexual relations with your father’s wife; that would dishonor your father.

“‘Do not have sexual relations with your sister, either your father’s daughter or your mother’s daughter, whether she was born in the same home or elsewhere.

10 “‘Do not have sexual relations with your son’s daughter or your daughter’s daughter; that would dishonor you.

11 “‘Do not have sexual relations with the daughter of your father’s wife, born to your father; she is your sister.

12 “‘Do not have sexual relations with your father’s sister; she is your father’s close relative.

13 “‘Do not have sexual relations with your mother’s sister, because she is your mother’s close relative.

14 “‘Do not dishonor your father’s brother by approaching his wife to have sexual relations; she is your aunt.

15 “‘Do not have sexual relations with your daughter-in-law. She is your son’s wife; do not have relations with her.

16 “‘Do not have sexual relations with your brother’s wife; that would dishonor your brother.

17 “‘Do not have sexual relations with both a woman and her daughter. Do not have sexual relations with either her son’s daughter or her daughter’s daughter; they are her close relatives. That is wickedness.

18 “‘Do not take your wife’s sister as a rival wife and have sexual relations with her while your wife is living.

19 “‘Do not approach a woman to have sexual relations during the uncleanness of her monthly period.

20 “‘Do not have sexual relations with your neighbor’s wife and defile yourself with her.

21 “‘Do not give any of your children to be sacrificed to Molek, for you must not profane the name of your God. I am the Lord.

Feel free to add any comments, inputs or even experience on this matter!

Nobody thought of cousins as "close kin" in those days. The OT stories are full of people who married a cousin, and Jacob even married two -- Rachel and Leah. While these marriages were pre-Leviticus, the Jews were known to have a first-cousin marriage preference. So, the cousin part is certainly not any kind of problem, it was business as usual. God even instructed Jacob to go find a mate(s) from his father's side of the family. If we don't believe that God had foreknowledge of how smitten Jacob would be with his cousin, when we do not understand the God of the Bible. Nothing takes God by surprise. 

If we go back to the beginning, God is there. If we go to the end, God is already there waiting on us. He is omniscient  and omnipresent and other big words that I am forgetting. He is not limited by mere physics because it was He who wrote E=MC2, not the other way around.

• Upvote 1

I will also quote the King James Version (KJV) as well:

None of you shall approach to any that is near of kin to him, to uncover their nakedness: I am the Lord.

The nakedness of thy father, or the nakedness of thy mother, shalt thou not uncover: she is thy mother; thou shalt not uncover her nakedness.

The nakedness of thy father's wife shalt thou not uncover: it is thy father's nakedness.

The nakedness of thy sister, the daughter of thy father, or daughter of thy mother, whether she be born at home, or born abroad, even their nakedness thou shalt not uncover.

10 The nakedness of thy son's daughter, or of thy daughter's daughter, even their nakedness thou shalt not uncover: for theirs is thine own nakedness.

11 The nakedness of thy father's wife's daughter, begotten of thy father, she is thy sister, thou shalt not uncover her nakedness.

12 Thou shalt not uncover the nakedness of thy father's sister: she is thy father's near kinswoman.

13 Thou shalt not uncover the nakedness of thy mother's sister: for she is thy mother's near kinswoman.

14 Thou shalt not uncover the nakedness of thy father's brother, thou shalt not approach to his wife: she is thine aunt.

15 Thou shalt not uncover the nakedness of thy daughter in law: she is thy son's wife; thou shalt not uncover her nakedness.

16 Thou shalt not uncover the nakedness of thy brother's wife: it is thy brother's nakedness.

17 Thou shalt not uncover the nakedness of a woman and her daughter, neither shalt thou take her son's daughter, or her daughter's daughter, to uncover her nakedness; for they are her near kinswomen: it is wickedness.

18 Neither shalt thou take a wife to her sister, to vex her, to uncover her nakedness, beside the other in her life time.

19 Also thou shalt not approach unto a woman to uncover her nakedness, as long as she is put apart for her uncleanness.

20 Moreover thou shalt not lie carnally with thy neighbour's wife, to defile thyself with her.

21 And thou shalt not let any of thy seed pass through the fire to Molech, neither shalt thou profane the name of thy God: I am the Lord.

I am in full agreement with KC 😀.

Unlike the laws of man, God's laws remain the same and do not change.

When in doubt, seek God first. Seek Him and read his Word. Only then will truth, knowledge and wisdom come to you.

I hope this thread helps out other Christians that are having troubles or issues in regards to this topic.

Edited by clumsilycopious256
Reference to wrong member.
  • Upvote 1

For Filipinos (at least I can speak on behalf of my culture), there's actually no problem in the entire chapter except for verse 6. That verse is the sticking point of the entire thing.... (well, the entire chapter as well, I guess..) hahaha. Let me re-post:

Lev 18:6 ESV
(6)  “None of you shall approach any one of his close relatives to uncover nakedness. I am the LORD.

Isolating that verse alone without considering the rest of the chapter would show a "blanket commandment" that anybody who really is a close relative should not be approached for marriage. The details of this commandment are on the following verses, for sure. But it can also be read in a way wherein verse 6 is a "general commandment" if there's anything missed  on the subsequent verses. Know what I'm saying?

So for instance, Leviticus 18 lists that you cannot marry (as per our homepage says):

any close relative (which you will clearly see does not include cousins), your mother, your father’s wife, your sister, (whole or half) “whether she was born in the same home or elsewhere” (v.9), your grandchild, the daughter of your father’s wife (step-sister), your father’s sister (aunt) “as she is your father’s close relative”, your mother’s sister (aunt) “as she is your mother’s close relative”, your father’s brother’s wife (aunt), your son’s wife, your brother’s wife, with both a woman and her daughter, your wife’s sister as a rival wife (to spite your first wife), during “uncleanness of her monthly period”, with your neighbor’s wife, with a member of the same sex; the Bible says “that is detestable”, with an animal; the Bible refers to this as “a perversion”.

Our website added:

Those who oppose cousin marriage often use “any close relative” to base their opposition on. Others will say that just because cousins aren’t specifically referred to doesn’t mean God didn’t mean to include them. They insist this list is just a general rule of thumb, not an all-inclusive command. 

Source: https://www.cousincouples.com/christianity/

Now KC said,

17 hours ago, KC said:

Nobody thought of cousins as "close kin" in those days.

Duuude!

Who cares what they think back in those days!? LOL. What people presently care about is what they think NOW. haha. That's how people think unfortunately. Of course, this is unfair as they read the Bible from their perspective rather than balance it how it was revealed to Moses by God, eh? 

But more on to the topic since I have asked this question as well to an older brother in the church whom I deeply respect. He said (and I am paraphrasing): that this chapter in Leviticus 18 is actually a commandment for separation for the children of Israelites. Namely, that because God is a holy God, we cannot be living just like what the other nations do. Like, if the other nations are just having sex with anybody (pretty much!) and in hedonism, (in crass terms, fucking everything and anybody who moves, know what I'm saying?), we should not be like that.

Why? Because we are separated people... we are people who are holy...and that God wants a group of people (in that time, the Israelites) in whom He can have His expression of holiness on the earth. :) 👍

So it's not about rules per se of who to marry and whatnot. No, the picture is bigger than that. However, EVEN LOOKING  AT THAT MYOPIC VIEW, the matter of cousin-marriage-prohibition-in-Lev.-18 still fails because cousin marriages are not even mentioned! LOL. Except for the sticking point verse 6, the anti-cousin-marriage-person really has no case. 

Now it gets worse because not only that they have no positive case, but that there is an overwhelming case that the contrary is true! KC mentioned pre-Moses instance of Jacob and his cousin and so on... Heck, I will even mention Othniel in the time of Judges...now THAT is post-Moses. hahaha.

Hence, Leviticus 18 is really a slam-dunk case on behalf of cousin marriage adherents. :)

Pooch

pooch, can you please clean your mouth out with soap, DUUUUDE? your f-bomb is anything but holy. as a former moderator of this site, you should appreciate the fact that bombs of any sort are not family-friendly language.

4 hours ago, LadyC said:

pooch, can you please clean your mouth out with soap, DUUUUDE? your f-bomb is anything but holy. as a former moderator of this site, you should appreciate the fact that bombs of any sort are not family-friendly language.

Yeah Pooch be careful! Since you are doing translation work under the Admin title, you can bypass the word filters. Don't do that please. Only I can drop the F bomb cause I know Christie won't. Heh. 

Lev 18 was an unequivocal account of who one could marry, nothing more, nothing less. To understand it, you would have to start at the place where Moses and his people would have understood/interpreted it (exegesis). Only then can you begin to understand what it means for today (hermeneutics). 

41duYPoLXQL._SX326_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I am sooo sorry guys! I was in a rush while I as was posting and was saying things "stream of consciously" from the top of my head! 😣😣 No proofread at all. I was careless and it's from my casual talk.

Again, my apologies everybody. It won't happen again.

Pooch

Ps. LadyC, thanks for pointing that out though. I needed that. I didnt even remember I posted that slang this morning until you mentioned it. Then later tonight Im like, "Oops. Oh yeah. Right. That."

As KC perfectly sums up Leviticus 18, it is about who you can and cannot marry. At first, when you read Leviticus 18:6, you will automatically think that you are not to approach any of kin for marriage. But when you read further, you realize that the bible specifies which kin you could not marry. Based from Leviticus 18, you cannot marry your father, mother, brother, sister, uncle, aunt, niece, nephew, daughter-in law, son-in law and so forth. However, when you scroll through the list, you then see that cousins are not on the list, meaning that God allows the marriage of cousins, explaining why many in the bible married their cousins.

Now, let's say you are a Christian and meet a cousin and the two of you fall in love - what is next? You need to take a look at man's laws in regards to cousin marriage. As Romans 13:1 (NIV) states,

13 "Let everyone be subject to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God."

Every country has their laws for cousin marriages. For the U.S., many states have restrictions with 1st cousin marriages, but with 2nd cousin marriages and above, they are legal in all 50 states. Always check your state's laws and or consult an attorney when getting specific advice about marriage with your cousin.

I am pretty sure for many, your family and relatives finding out about your relationship may cause major issues and rifts. However, if you, your cousin and your families are Christians, a marriage between you and your cousin should technically not be a problem. But realistically, because people are still tied to the ways and cultures of the world, most would look at cousin marriages as odd or even vile. But just remember, as Christians, our most important question is: What does God think about it? As Matthew 6:33 (NIV) states,

33 "But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well."

Edited by clumsilycopious256
Formatting
  • Like 1

Well you always said you were a Christian and this proves. God doesn't let us get by with everything; Hebrews 12:6-11 was a paraphrase of a verse in Proverbs. With my  bigmouth and my bad attitude, it's happened to me. I know it's hard to believe.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was once invited to a "revival" where it looked like anything but revival was going on. Some guy walks up to the mic with a ball shirt, jeans and a cap. I said to myself, "Why is this clown?" 

He was just the preacher.

The lead singer of the "band" was sick to the preacher filled in and screamed the words -- it was some sort of hard-rock genre and it was awful. I let them have it. I let them have it with both barrels.  I think my reaction wasn't too far off base actually, but my attitude was from hell. I fancied myself as a quasi-liberal, [kinda] inclusive, open-minded Christian. I kept nudging my wife asking her if she was ready to go. Now I was getting angry because she wouldn't leave.

Before I left, I begin to hear God speak to me, "Who are you KC?" (God doesn't really call me KC! :D) It was a play from the book of Job (Who are you..) My heart broke because I knew there was something terribly wrong with my heart. God held up a mirror in front of my face and I didn't know the man looking back. Why was this self righteous jack-arse gawking at me?

I guess in a way, revival did come that night. I do remember fighting-back tears all the way back home. It is my intention to change that man I saw in the mirror as much as I can. I never want to hear those words again, "And who are you KC?" "Where were you when I put this group together?" "What makes your Christianity superior?" "Where were you when I had to hold this congregation together like glue?" "Where were you when I shed every drop of my blood so that they could be saved?" 

The power is not in the answers, but the questions. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I like writing like this. I think I will make my blog more like this and less academic. God has done some pretty amazing things in my life and all I can figure out is that He done them so that I can share them with others. God bless!

I am sooo sorry guys! I was in a rush while I as was posting and was saying things "stream of consciously" from the top of my head! 😣😣 No proofread at all. I was careless and it's from my casual talk.

Again, my apologies everybody. It won't happen again.

Pooch

Ps. LadyC, thanks for pointing that out though. I needed that. I didnt even remember I posted that slang this morning until you mentioned it. Then later tonight Im like, "Oops. Oh yeah. Right. That."