<?php echo esc_attr( get_bloginfo( 'name' ) ); ?>
Peaches

Texas laws

If my first cousin and I get married in another state is our relationship then legal in TX? Will TX see the marriage as legal? Would I still technically be breaking the law, since cousin relationships are illegal here? I keep finding conflicting information online.

Moving is not an option fir several years due to child custody. If it isn’t legal, I’m worried how that would affect the custody of my kids. 

I know no one here can give me serious legal advice but just wondering if anyone has been in a similar situation. Has anyone had any experience with Texas laws?  

Edited by Peaches
Grammar

TX is one the states with strict laws on cousin relationships. You cannot marry, have sex, or cohabit. You cannot marry in another state. 

Given that child custody is on the line and cousin sex is considered felony incest in the state, you may need to consider keeping your relationship under wraps. In other states that outlaw marriage, you could still cohabit and it would be fine, not illegal to cohabit and just not marry. However TX considers that incest so yes, if word gets out, someone could use that against you to get custody of your kids. 

Edited by ReachIntoTheVoid

On 11/3/2019 at 5:14 PM, ReachIntoTheVoid said:

TX is one the states with strict laws on cousin relationships. You cannot marry, have sex, or cohabit. You cannot marry in another state. 

Given that child custody is on the line and cousin sex is considered felony incest in the state, you may need to consider keeping your relationship under wraps. In other states that outlaw marriage, you could still cohabit and it would be fine, not illegal to cohabit and just not marry. However TX considers that incest so yes, if word gets out, someone could use that against you to get custody of your kids. 

This is all very correct to the best of my knowledge. 

If I visited Texas with my cousin and we had sex, it would be a felony. It would take BIG MONEY and a lot of time to legally challenge the law, if a prosecutor decided to go forward with prosecution (which is a little iffy!).

If in Texas, or anywhere else in the USA, keep yo mouth shut to the police. You have to identify yourself and that's it. In Tx, never admit that you are with a cousin. Refuse to answer ANY question and state: "I do not want to make any statements or wave any of my civil rights." And for goodness sake, never volunteer/agree go down to the station to answer questions, even with 10 lawyers. Just don't do it. 

There could be 9 murders in the city and 10 homicide detectives. There is never anything you can gain from blabbing, only a whole heck of a lot to lose. 

Pancake, you can ask any questions you feel you want to. 

Just be advised we DO NOT give any legal advice here.

Any legal questions need to be directed to an attorney. The legal facts pages

are posted as to the best of our knowledge at the time posted. There may

be changes to some of them we are not aware of.

Oh and welcome to cc.com!!