Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest longtimelurker

Any other nonbelievers here?

This topic has had no activity within the past six months. It is recommended that you start a new topic instead of replying to old topics.

75 posts in this topic

I was wondering if there are any other nonbelievers/atheists/agnostics/free-thinkers/whatever-you-want-to-call-yourselves here.

Or am I just the odd one out?

Thanks!  :biggrin:

you're not the only one, but all us staff is christian, so that may be why you thought you were the oddball :)

I was raised a Baptist but I'm well, I don't know what it's called (if it's called anything?)

I do believe in God but I don't believe the Bible is anything more than just a book. I don't believe that God affects your life just observes. I believe in heaven/hell but I don't believe in getting saved (more of if you live as a good person, heaven. if not, hell). I don't believe that God answers prayers or cares how/what you worship or what religion you choose to be. I also don't believe in God 'sparing' you, when it's your time you go.

That's not really what you asked but I just wanted you to know your not the only nonchristian  :give_heart:

Oh PS, I'm also prochoice which I was informed (many times) means that I cannot possibly be a christian  :scratch_ones_head:

I will add though that until recently I was a Christian & have only recently turned  :happydance:

wow. sorry to hear that, hes4me. i can't even count the prayers God has answered. and He's definitely always subtle about answering. sometimes there is just no way anyone could chalk it up to circumstance.

wow. sorry to hear that, hes4me. i can't even count the prayers God has answered. and He's definitely always subtle about answering. sometimes there is just no way anyone could chalk it up to circumstance.

If you believe that he is answering you prayers & that's what works for you awesome, but I tend to believe it's more of a coincidence :yes:

I am a Lutheran Christian. My dad says it is immoral to like yoru cousin so I pointed out to him that the Bible was pro cousin marrage.

If you can't believe in God try turning to the ether. Ether has really helped my out. Listen to the music of Lily Chou Chou and you'll know what I mean.

Well, as of now, I don't have a religion... I grew up Christian, mostly influenced by my father - and his mother - My mother is 'Spiritual', as she calls it. My parents made an agreement around the time that I was born that, once I turned 13, I could go out, study other religions and decide what religion I want to be. They both grew up in a household where they weren't aloud to believe in the religion they wanted to, only what their parents were, and they wanted their children to have the freedom to believe in what they want.

As I am older than 13 now, I've been looking around, but haven't found the right one yet. But, I'm going to keep my mind open, and keep searching.  :smiley:

~ Kismet

i'm always surprised at the term "growing up christian". i guess it's kinda like what i call "generational christian". it really doesn't mean anything at all other than that you grew up going to church because your parents were christians.

it makes me wonder, in today's culture, do people really know exactly what being a christian is? it's not some vague, abstract theological belief system. it's having a personal, one-on-one, real actual daily relationship with the living God, with Jesus Christ, who is very much alive and well.

and while most christians do attend church, going to church is totally irrelevant to whether one is a christian or not. and being perfect is not a requirement either. LOL, like any of us could be perfect! even the best christian screws up constantly throughout the day, sometimes BIG screw-ups! nope, being a christian isn't about church, isn't about doing all the right things all the time (or pretending to), it's simply about having a personal relationship with God... talking to him, spending time with him, listening to him, living in him, and being forgiven by him, in spite of our constant mistakes.

Oh PS, I'm also prochoice which I was informed (many times) means that I cannot possibly be a christian

There is actually nothing in the Bible directly speaking to the subject of abortion and in fact the punishment for beating a woman and inducing a miscarriage is merely payment, as opposed to injuring her own body in which case it is injury for injury. Although there is talk of an infant stirring in its mother's womb soon after being conceived but that is hardly a rule.

It is funny how many people just put whatever they want into the Bible. The same thing applies with gay behavior where you get these "progressives" who say that Christ would approve of gay marriage. The Bible clearly says gay behavior is unnatural.

I am actually not sure if I want to be religious or not but if I was going to join a religion it would most definitely be...Islam. Yes, read that again if you did a double take. Why not join Christianity, the obvious choice in America? Well, one issue is that the large majority of Christians today do not pay very close attention to their own religious texts. Religion is kicked out of politics more and more these days. So if you just say you are a Christian these days people will take it as not meaning all that much. You have to explain that you really believe in what the Bible says and that you don't think gay behavior and sex before marriage is fine, but on the other hand you think cousin marriage is. But why say all that when you can just be Muslim and all these beliefs are understood as part of your religion? Because Muslims as a group have not departed nearly as much from their sacred texts. And furthermore, there are aspects of Islam that I find more appealing, such as the lack of focus on celibacy, which I think is pretty much an unnatural state for a person to be in their whole life, and also modesty for women, which seems honorable.

Anyway, I am not sure if I can handle religion because to really follow it is very demanding, but this would be the choice if I were going to join a religion.

because, jayD, like i already said. the world doesn't understand what christianity is. you don't understand what christianity is. it isn't a bunch of religious text. it's not about religion at all. it's about a personal relationship with the only living God. but i'm not surprised you would choose islam over christianity. relationships take more work than memorizing and following a list of religious dos and don'ts.

because, jayD, like i already said. the world doesn't understand what christianity is. you don't understand what christianity is. it isn't a bunch of religious text. it's not about religion at all. it's about a personal relationship with the only living God. but i'm not surprised you would choose islam over christianity. relationships take more work than memorizing and following a list of religious dos and don'ts.

So even though I think the Bible is a complete BS story I'm still Christian because I believe in God? (I'm not getting snippy I'm actually asking)

I say "was raised Baptist" because I was raised with the understanding that I turn out Baptist, there was no question in my parents mind, that's how my brothers turned out & that's how they believed I would turn out. Even as a child I remember not believing what was preached to me, I could see the contradictions of what was said but I was too often shut up by my parents & preacher because you aren't supposed to question such things you just have faith that it is what's right. Without actually saying it, it was made clear that if you had doubts/questions then you didn't believe & that meant you were a bad christian.

This question comes at a weird time for me because I am actually questioning alot of my beliefs.

i don't know if you're a christian or not. i'm not you, i'm not God. only the two of you can answer that. but i'm not sure why you're asking the question, since it doesn't seem at all to me as though you have a relationship with God, and since, if you believe the bible to be complete BS, then it doesn't seem possible to me that you believe Jesus is who He says He is... the word of God in the flesh, born of a virgin, crucified for our sins, risen from the dead, and very much alive and well... and in a relationship with you.

scripture (that you don't believe in) says that if you believe IN YOUR HEART and confess WITH YOUR MOUTH that Jesus is, then you are saved. beyond the intitial point of salvation, the rest is all about relationship. because christianity is not a religion. i think i covered that point a couple of times :)

it's not enough to believe in some abstract greater power that you may or may not call "god". it's about knowing Him personally. it's about interacting with Him the way you would with any human you were in a relationship with (minus the physical, of course.)

i don't see anything in any of your posts that indicate you believe Jesus to be who He is, nor to indicate that you have a relationship with Him. so i'm not sure what it is you're asking? given what you don't have, i would think that you're probably telling the truth when you say that you're not a christian.

That's what I thought but you had me confused when you said that all that was required of Christians was to believe in God. I don't identify as a Christian. Do I believe Jesus existed? Yes, but I don't believe the story of his birth, I do however believe that Mary gave birth to him while SAYING she had never known a man's touch.... And while I believe there actually was/might have been a Jesus, that's about where it stops.

I guess my question was what religion is this? Which I can't expect you to answer because quiet frankly I don't know really.

It is funny how many people just put whatever they want into the Bible. The same thing applies with gay behavior where you get these "progressives" who say that Christ would approve of gay marriage. The Bible clearly says gay behavior is unnatural.

Ugh, the gay debate. Let me start by saying I'm bisexual...

I hate how so many people throw it up in gays faces that it's wrong to be gay when they themselves do ALOT of things the Bible says it's wrong to do. Do you:

Eat pork? Touch leather? You shall not eat of their flesh nor touch of their carcasses; they are unclean to you Lev. 11:8

Have a tattoo? Piercings? You shall not make any cuts in your body for the dead nor make any tattoo marks on yourselves: I am Lord Lev. 19:28 (I especially find it funny when someone has a cross/Jesus/angel tattoo & will point out the irony to them, the usual answer? God loves that I worship him.  It doesn't work that way!!)

Do you have any rings on right now? Likewise, I want women to adorn themselves with proper clothing, modestly and discreetly, not with braided hair and gold or pearls or costly garments. 1 Timothy 2:9

Are you wearing 100% fiber clothes all the time? You are to keep My statutes. You shall not breed together two kinds of your cattle; you shall not sow your field with two kinds of seed, nor wear a garment upon you of two kinds of material mixed together. Lev. 19:19

How many of the same Christians who do ALL of the above & still call a gay wo/man a sinner?

i don't believe i ever said that all it takes to be a christian is to believe in God. in fact, i just looked back over my posts, and i'm right, i never said that. i said repeatedly that christianity is a personal, one-on-one relationship with God / Jesus Christ.

but really, you shouldn't go about pointing out things like eating pork, etc, without knowing who that command was for and who it did not apply to. it, along with many other commands, were specific only to hebrews... jews... israelites... whatever term you want to use for them. they were never meant to be applied to gentiles, and even Christ clarified that point. as for how we can call a gay person a sinner, because that's what homosexual behaviour is. sin.

so is adultery.

so is sex outside of marriage.

and again, christianity isn't about being perfect. there's not a christian alive that doesn't sin, daily, hourly even! none! but if we have a personal relationship with Christ like we should, then we recognize the conviction of the Holy Spirit when He taps on our shoulder to remind us to repent. and once we've repented, God forgives and forgets... and it's like it has never happened! and the next time we screw up and ask forgiveness, God forgives us again, just like it was the first time He ever forgave us for the same darn thing we keep screwing up at.

therein lies the difference between the believer and the unbeliever. we know when we do wrong, and we darn sure better tell God we're sorry for it. the unbeliever doesn't believe they're doing wrong and feel no need to repent.

that being said, calling sin what it is (sin is sin) does not mean we're condemning. some people do, of course, but most of the time, people assume that they're being judged by people when that's not actually the case. Jesus came to save the world, not to condemn the world. and if Jesus didn't come to condemn you, then i'm sure not going to. but it would be wrong for me to lie about the truth, too... and the truth is, those who reject God are condemned already. not by anyone else, but by their own choice.

anyway, i think we should all take care not to let this turn into a heated debate. it's still civil at the moment, but let me encourage everyone to take a deep breath before you type, because if it does go skidding into the deep end, i'll have to lock it... and i'd rather not.

I hate how so many people throw it up in gays faces that it's wrong to be gay when they themselves do ALOT of things the Bible says it's wrong to do. Do you:

A lot of those things are just in the Old Testament, though. My understanding is that the OT got superseded by the NT in many areas. That is why Christians can eat pork. But even the NT comes out and says gay behavior is unnatural, so there is no real getting away from it if you are a Christian.

as for how we can call a gay person a sinner, because that's what homosexual behaviour is. sin.

And it's called sin because the New Testament says it's bad.

As for Islam, I'm not sure many people in America really know what it's about. It's a monotheistic religion, meaning there is one God, and it recognizes the Bible as a religious text, though one that has been altered over time and hence is considered imperfect. Most Muslims in America agree that they are worshiping the same God as Christians and Jews. It is attractive to me that Muslims generally take their rules seriously. It means their religion has meaning and when someone says, "I am Muslim," that is quite a statement. Even if I am not personally ready to accept all the rules myself, like no pork and no alcohol. They also take sex before marriage to be a much more serious sin than people in most other religions. Plus, Prophet Muhammad married his cousin!

Plus, Prophet Muhammad married his cousin!

so did mary... you know, Jesus' mother.

Well you can see from the thread I wrote in this Religion section,  I was in the same boat a few months ago, still am.

I encourage people to really, REALLY think about this. I dont push people one way or the other, I just push people into doing their own research. I know a lot of "Christians" who just say thats what they think ,and the only answer they really have as to why is because their parents are.

I also know a lot of atheists who are atheist because "its cool".  As bizarre as it sounds thats true. As somebody who went through high school a few years back, Atheism in my school and in many others in the Midwest at least, is almost the cool thing. A lot of kids would laugh at those who believe because "its not logical". Calling an argument illogical without any logical argument is counter productive.

I really dislike it when people dont put any thought into it (cough cough my cousin  :wacko: ).

I myself have settled on being a step above Agnostic at the moment. To be agnostic is to be smack dab in the middle, saying there is no proof for either side. I believe that there is some form of higher power, a god if you will, but thats it. I dont know how powerful he is, or if its even only one god. Thats where am at but i still read and stuff, opinions from both side.

ugh weird brackets!

Anyways, there in lies my biggest beef with Christianity. "because thats what homosexual behavior is, a sin"

I am not gay, but I have friends who are bi/gay/lesbian, and I find it downright offensive that people could call that a sin. Why in the world would somebody CHOSE to be gay? With all the baggage it brings it just doesnt make sense.  I have this friend Alex who Ive known all my life, and all my life he has been unbelievably gay. Is he doomed to a life of sin because of that?  Another friend told me when she was 15 her Priest told her "its ok to be gay, its just not ok to act on gay impulses". Banning somebody from enjoying sex with the person they love is terrible. So she is never supposed to even enjoy a kiss because she looks at a man and feels nothing? Ugh.

Im sorry, this is just a very touchy topic for me and I get enraged when its brought up. To me its no worse then saying "A black person is forbidden from marrying a white person". I honestly think its the same exact thing.

Should probably just drop it because Everyone is probably set in their views on this and nobody is going to change each others mind. Sorry, I hope I wasnt uncivil, I think i did a good job of not being over the top.

Well you can see from the thread I wrote in this Religion section,  I was in the same boat a few months ago, still am.

I encourage people to really, REALLY think about this. I dont push people one way or the other, I just push people into doing their own research. I know a lot of "Christians" who just say thats what they think ,and the only answer they really have as to why is because their parents are.

I also know a lot of atheists who are atheist because "its cool".  As bizarre as it sounds thats true. As somebody who went through high school a few years back, Atheism in my school and in many others in the Midwest at least, is almost the cool thing. A lot of kids would laugh at those who believe because "its not logical". Calling an argument illogical without any logical argument is counter productive.

I really dislike it when people dont put any thought into it (cough cough my cousin  :wacko: ).

I myself have settled on being a step above Agnostic at the moment. To be agnostic is to be smack dab in the middle, saying there is no proof for either side. I believe that there is some form of higher power, a god if you will, but thats it. I dont know how powerful he is, or if its even only one god. Thats where am at but i still read and stuff, opinions from both side.

Well, I was brought up very Christian and truly and honestly believed it. I tried very hard to maintain my faith in the face of disbelief. The more I investigated things though... the less I could believe any of it.

I'm not an atheist because it is cool or counter-culture - I am an atheist because I cannot believe what I know ain't so.

That's what I thought but you had me confused when you said that all that was required of Christians was to believe in God. I don't identify as a Christian. Do I believe Jesus existed? Yes, but I don't believe the story of his birth, I do however believe that Mary gave birth to him while SAYING she had never known a man's touch.... And while I believe there actually was/might have been a Jesus, that's about where it stops.

I guess my question was what religion is this? Which I can't expect you to answer because quiet frankly I don't know really.

It sounds to be as though you're a deist. If I'm reading your posts correctly, you believe that there is a devine/powerful/supernatural being that put everything in motion and walked away - leaving the rest of the stuff involved in religion (e.g. holy books, doctrine, etc.) to be necessarily man made.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0