• Announcements

• KC

Get Smart on the Web   09/16/2016

Be informed on better ways to stay safe on the web -- Source: Mozilla
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest scorpius

Hope this helps: KINSHIP CHART

This topic has had no activity within the past six months. It is recommended that you start a new topic instead of replying to old topics.

24 posts in this topic

thanks, i "stuck" it, and i will change the title so people can find it easily!

Hello! I just read this chart elsewhere on the site, and did the kinship generator at the end of the page, and it said that my great-uncle is the same thing as one's second cousin 2x removed.... unless I did it incorrectly.

Asker (me) - mom - grandma - great-gram - great-great-gram - ggg gram

Our common ancestor is ggg gram and all of it relates as to how we are related to her (yes?). I'm her 3rd great grandaughter. My great uncle ("Mr. Reed" - see my username) is her great-grandson, making us second cousins twice removed according to the generator, yes? I need help  :wacko:

2zdy3yh.jpg

I am dating someone and we're not sure how we are related.  Her father and my mother are cousins, i.e. my mother's father is brother to her father's mother.  Hope that makes sense.  We thought we were second-cousins.

If her father and your mother are first cousins then you two are second cousins.

Thank you.  It has been awkward, friends do tease us.  Our family seem okay with it though.

Growing up we never met/mixed, it's only in the past year.  Things would be far easier if we weren't related.

Is there a Support Group or Forum for Children of Cousin Marriages?  I have a great need to discuss all the prejudice experienced from other relatives over the years.  Beginning when I was a child to present day.

Hi Leslie,

there is not a separate support group as such.

Just start a new thread and post. It will be read by anyone that wants.

We have some really wonderful members here, some are with cousin, some aren't and want to be, some were at one time and have weathered that too.

Some are children of cousin relationships and some are cousins with or wanting children.

You may have some good information for any and all.

Welcome to our family.

It means you are dating your 1st cousin's son / daughter.

For purposes of marraige to first cousins however that is not the chart.  You would go by the "civil" definition which according to the legal dictionary is:

6. The mode of the civil law is preferable, for it points out the actual degree of kindred in all cases; by the mode adopted by the common law, different relations may stand in the same degree. The uncle and nephew stand related in the second degree by the common law, and so are two first cousins, or two sons of two brothers; but by the civil law the uncle and nephew are in the third degree, and the cousins are in the fourth. The mode of computation, however, is immaterial, for both will establish the same person to be the heir. 2 Bl. Com. 202; 1 Swift's Dig. 113; Toull. Civ. Fr. liv. 8, t. 1, o. 3, n. 115. Vide Branch; Degree; Line.

Thank you very much for this very useful chart. It is much more simpler than the Chinese kinship relationship chart.

I don't understand the twice removed things and all that. I am wanting to know how I am related to my grandfather's cousin's grandson.  Please help me and if there is a way don't use they 1st removed or 2nd removed.

the once and twice removed thing can be tricky to understand, but let me explain it so  that maybe it will help you. you'll have to get a pen and draw it out, because i can't draw on here.

take your pen and draw four straight lines (horizontal) above and below each other on a piece of paper.

above the first line, write "common ancestor" (or you can write "parents").

on each side of the first horizontal line, write "siblings"

on each side of the second, write "first cousins"

on each side of the third, write "second cousins"

and on each side of the fourth, write "third cousins".

all "first cousins", "2nd cousins", and so forth are on a horizontal line. first cousins have the same number of "lines" (generations" between them and the common ancestor (which would be their grandparents). 2nd cousins are on the same generational line as each other, and are also the same number of generations from the common ancestor (which would be their great grandparents). and so forth.

now.... take your pen and draw a dotted line from the first cousin on the right, to the 2nd cousin on the left. this line should be a diagonal. the kinship along that dotted line is '1st cousins once removed". in other words, they are one generation removed from being the same distance from the common ancestor.

if that dotted line was run between a first cousin and the grandchild of the other first cousin, it would be 'first cousins twice removed.'

likewise, if you have a diagonal running from a second cousin to a third cousin, they would be 2nd cousins once removed.

it really helps to draw it out. when you do that, can you see it?

now as for your own relation, you need to go further back than your grandfather and his cousin. you need to go back as far as to who were the original common ancestor of your grandfather and his cousin. that would mean not your grandfather's dad, but your grandfather's grandfather... THAT is the person who is the common ancestor. that would be your g-g-grandfather. put his name at the top.

on the first line, put your g-grandfather's name on one side, and your cousin's g-grandparent's name on the other side. those would have been siblings.

on the second line, that's where you put your grandfather's name on one side.... and his grandfather's name on the other side. those would be first cousins.

on the third line should be your mom or dad's name on one side, his mom or dad's name on the other. they would be second cousins.

on the fourth line should be your name on one side, and your love's name on the other. the two of you would be third cousins.

all of that is assuming that when you said "your grandfather's cousin's grandson", that was an accurate assessment of how many generations apart you are. if it is correct, then that's it... no 'once removed' or anything like that, the two of you are simply third cousins.... and genetically speaking, that's no more related than two totally unrelated individuals. the risk of birth defects that could result from kinship is no higher than strangers with no blood relation.

hope that helps.

I get so confused every time I look at one of these charts. Can someone help me figure it out? I'm not sure if we're 2nd or 3rd cousins.

His father's mother is my father's aunt.

Thank you! :)

Clear mine up because for some reason I do mine and i have a brain bust.. lol.

My grandfather and his great grandfather where brothers. That makes my dad and his grandma first cousins. His father woukd have been my second cousin, right? So then what is my partner? My nana says we are third cousins once removed?  Thanks in advance for the help, i just want everything clear before we *gulp* talk about genetic counseling with our doctor  (nervous and excited all at once)

i believe that would actually be 2nd cousins once removed, not third.... if i'm counting it right.

Yeah, thats what I ended up with too.. guess this is why some of the disapproving relatives said we were closer than we thought. Oh well. Ill let nan and the others go on with the third cousin thing, doesn't really change anything :)

Update i informed my grandmother and she said "so is that good or bad?" Like it didnt even register lol. Im just telling myself its still pretty much the same as before anyway.

My grandfather and her grandfather are brothers.

So that makes my father and her father first cousins and us 2nd cousins?

Does it matter if we are both from the same side of the family with same last name even though we are 2nd cousins?

Genetic wise 2nd cousins should hold lesser risk?

Please advise, thanks!

2nd cousins (and yes, that is what you are) have the exact same risk as any UNRELATED couple. no more. a lot of cultures emphasize the legitimacy of cousins from one side of a family over those of from another side (i.e. through the maternal line, or the paternal line, or cross-cousins where one is from the mother's and one from the father's) but genetically it makes no difference at all.

the important thing to understand is even unrelated couples have risks of bearing children with birth defects. if there are any known genetic issues in either side of the family, you should see a genetic counselor just for peace of mind.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0