Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
august

FAMOUS FILIPINO COUSIN COUPLES

This topic has had no activity within the past six months. It is recommended that you start a new topic instead of replying to old topics.

26 posts in this topic

Hello everyone, especially to my "kapwa pilipino"/co-filipino citizens. we all know that cousin marriage is prohibited in our country(PHILIPPINES). I'm sure all Filipino cousin couples here are disappointed of the Philippine Marriage Law, for we cant be able to get married w/ our dearest cousin.because of this I ended up w/ this little research; FAMOUS FILIPINO COUSIN COUPLES.

1.) Marcelo H. del Pilar, a very famous, with the ranks of Jose P. Rizal, propagandist during Spanish occupation in the Philippines, late 1800s.

"In 1878, he married his first cousin, Marciana del Pilar, by whom he had several children with only Anita and Sofia surviving."

(p. 135, History of the Filipino People by Teodoro A. Agoncillo)

http://cousincouple.blogspot.com/

2.) Mikee Arroyo, son of the former Philippine president, Gloria Macapagal Arroyo, got married w/ his second cousin, Angela Montenegro.

"Mikey, 40, wed Angela, his second cousin, on June 24, 2002. They have two daughters, Mikaela Gloria and Marie Angelique. Mikey?s father, First Gentleman Jose Miguel ?Mike? Arroyo, and Angela?s mother, Rosario Arroyo are first cousins."

http://louie-fatalpalito.blogspot.com/2009/09/mike-arroyos-beachfront-home-california.html

3.) Lipe?os (Lipa City)

"Lipa?s golden age was in the late nineteenth century when, for a short time, the town was the center of coffee cultivation in the world. Some of the town?s families were among the country?s wealthiest. Lipe?os were known for intermarrying among themselves, not so much to keep wealth within the family, but because parents did not want to marry people who were not from the town?s social circle. There is a very high incidence of marrying first cousins, particularly among the Katigbak, Luz, Roxas, Kalaw, and Dimayuga clans. Intermarriages continue, as in the case of Armando Kalaw Katigbak marrying Lourdes Katigbak Katigbak."

http://lipatourism.wordpress.com/culture/lipas-famous-families/

and most of all; our Philippine National Hero; Jose P. Rizal

4.) Jose Rizal had an 11yrs love affair w/ his first cousin Leonor Rivera.

"Leonor was supposedly Jose?s cousin yet it did not stop the two lovers from having a love connection that lasted eleven years. According to Jose Rizal, Leonor Rivera was a demure, beautiful girl who could sing and play the piano. She had soft, wavy hair, almond eyes and a small pensive mouth. According to Rizal?s sisters, she was the most beautiful out of all of his girlfriends."

"Jose Rizal met Leonor Rivera when she was only 13 years old in Dagupan. The couple began their long distance relationship when Jose left for Europe. They kept in touch by sending letters and photographs to one another. Their love affair was cut short when the parents of Rivera intervened. They were not happy about Leonor and Jose?s relationship because of the bad reputation Rizal gained in the Philippines for writing ?Noli Me Tangere.? Leonor?s mother hid the her letters from Rizal and arranged a marriage for her with Henry Kipping. When Jose heard of the news that his love of 11 years was married to someone else, he wept terribly."

"Jose Rizal tried to stay loyal to Leonor during their long distance relationship. Once in awhile he would be charmed by beautiful girls around Europe though he did not want to take them seriously because of his love for Leonor. It was evident that the two loved each other intensely. In fact, Jose Rizal was saddened by the fact that Leonor grew sickly and had insomnia during her marriage with Henry Kipping. Because of her frequent illnesses she eventually passed away while Rizal was in Dapitan.their relationship may have not been perfect but the love and dedication they felt for each other can serve as an inspiration for many couples."

http://joserizalfans.wordpress.com/2011/02/23/jose-rizal-stories-of-love/

Also well documented are Rizal?s many romances. Below is a rendition by BenCab of Jose and

Leonor Rivera, his onetime lover and first cousin.

http://artmouseph.com/2011/07/03/rizalizing-the-future/

>My implication to this post is that why does the Philippine marriage law prohibits cousin marriage when in fact the national heroes even had cousin relationships?. grr! i just hate it!  :embarrassed:<

When you are posting up details about Mikey and Angela, I strongly suggest you add this link showing their daughter

- http://www.newsflash.org/2004/02/hl/hl105337.htm.

When you don't show proof amongst our people that cousin couples CAN HAVE normal children, they will insist us to follow brainlessly the prohibition against cousin marriages.

When I showed this pic to disbelievers, they claim the girl in the pic is retarded. If that's the case, why they did have TWO children? When one offspring is genetically compromised, it would be insanity to have another child. But they did have another, meaning to say, BOTH kids are okay and it was okay to have more kids though they are cousins.

Anyway, I have seen and met both kids in person and they are normal - physically and mentally (I'm from Pampanga by the way and saw them during a town occasion along with the parents). So their detractors can't debunk me with their false claims.

The truth is, it is the desire for lust and social advancement that drives a majority of Filipinos to seek mates not related by blood. When the mate is handsome or beautiful and rich, they automatically find them good mates. What's funny is, they associate this feeling with the virtue of love. Love?! Christ, these people ought to give me a break! Just when did a noble virtue like love and worldliness go hand in hand?! It is sad that we practice this double-standard....

As long as who we love is within legal, medical and religious, social traditions has no right to dictate our choices. It is our right to exercise our free will - all Filipinos should bear that in mind...

When you are posting up details about Mikey and Angela, I strongly suggest you add this link showing their daughter

- http://www.newsflash.org/2004/02/hl/hl105337.htm.

When you don't show proof amongst our people that cousin couples CAN HAVE normal children, they will insist us to follow brainlessly the prohibition against cousin marriages.

When I showed this pic to disbelievers, they claim the girl in the pic is retarded. If that's the case, why they did have TWO children? When one offspring is genetically compromised, it would be insanity to have another child. But they did have another, meaning to say, BOTH kids are okay and it was okay to have more kids though they are cousins.

Anyway, I have seen and met both kids in person and they are normal - physically and mentally (I'm from Pampanga by the way and saw them during a town occasion along with the parents). So their detractors can't debunk me with their false claims.

The truth is, it is the desire for lust and social advancement that drives a majority of Filipinos to seek mates not related by blood. When the mate is handsome or beautiful and rich, they automatically find them good mates. What's funny is, they associate this feeling with the virtue of love. Love?! Christ, these people ought to give me a break! Just when did a noble virtue like love and worldliness go hand in hand?! It is sad that we practice this double-standard....

As long as who we love is within legal, medical and religious, social traditions has no right to dictate our choices. It is our right to exercise our free will - all Filipinos should bear that in mind...

>> well she doesn't look retarded to me, anyway thanks for the suggestion. me and my fiance(first cousin) has already a baby, she's 2 months old now and she's totally healthy and very normal, she has well growth and development, even has fast improvements.

I'm not famous,but i'm in a relationship with my first cousin in the philippines.I'm half Filipino and Italian,i got my citizenship there last year.We have a 6month old baby boy together :-).She is 26 now gonna be 27 later this year,i'm currently 24.We are planning to have more children when we get married :-).

I'm not famous,but i'm in a relationship with my first cousin in the philippines.I'm half Filipino and Italian,i got my citizenship there last year.We have a 6month old baby boy together :-).She is 26 now gonna be 27 later this year,i'm currently 24.We are planning to have more children when we get married :-).

oh, i glad that you're together. i envy you for that  :( 'coz my parents wont allow us to be together bcoz we're not married. we're in the same track, im also in a relationship w/ my first cousin, but we're both filipinos, we also have a baby girl; turning 3months this 20. so, you've mentioned you're planning to have more children when you get married? so you mean you're not yet married too? how come? oh, same w/ us. that's our goal, to get married, and have more children especially baby boy  :smiley: well, Godbless you then w/ your family.

oh, i glad that you're together. i envy you for that  :( 'coz my parents wont allow us to be together bcoz we're not married. we're in the same track, im also in a relationship w/ my first cousin, but we're both filipinos, we also have a baby girl; turning 3months this 20. so, you've mentioned you're planning to have more children when you get married? so you mean you're not yet married too? how come? oh, same w/ us. that's our goal, to get married, and have more children especially baby boy  :smiley: well, Godbless you then w/ your family.

Actually our parents don't know,she doesn't want to tell anyone about us.Yeah we plan to get married but live away from everyone.I gotta finish up everything up here in the states and be ready to move to the philippines in the future(next year).We want a baby girl :-)

:smiley:while for us, we want a boy yet we had a girl. heheh. oh is that so? but why in PhiL.? when infact cousin marriage is prohibited here, well perhaps you could get married first there in states. our families and relatives knows about our relationship, really, all of us here have different and unique stories. Godbless us all.

additional information:

Eusebio M. Lopez was born in  1888 in San Juan, Batangas.  His parents were Julian LOPEZ (Santos? brother). He married his first cousin Soledad LOPEZ in 1924. He was 36 and she was just 19.   Their fathers were brothers.

Soledad Lopez was born in 1905 in San Juan Batangas.  Her parents were Santos LOPEZ of Lipa (Julian?s brother) and Maria (Nanay Angge) MERCADO.  Her grandfather Jose MERCADO was first cousin of filipino patriot Jose Rizal.

At the age of 19 years old, she was fetched from her school, Assumption Convent in Herran, Manila and was bethrothed to Eusebio.  She said the reason she married her first cousin was because those allowed to court her had to already have a title, so when Eusebio asked for her hand in marriage,  he was 17 years older and was already a lawyer.  To her grandchildren, Soledad was known as Lola Nene.

Eusebio and Soledad were married in San Juan Church, Batangas. same church where Judy Ann Santos and Ryan Agoncillo were married.

http://minerdescent.com/2012/01/01/eusebio-lopez/

Hi,

It's comforting to know that I have "kabayans" in this page. Just want to ask u August how'd it all go with telling your parents? Me and my cousin actually in a secret realtionship for 7 years now, and it's a struggle for us everytime we have family events. We're planning to move some place were we can get married and live freely, but im not ready to leave my mom and dad yet, they need me badly.

Im thinking opening the topic to my mom, but im pretty sure they wont accept the idea, we are close Roman Catholic. Maybe you can give me some ideas.

:laugh:So good to know n mdmi pla ako ktulad n situation.. im now in a relationship with my second cousin.. hes my fathers first cousin.. we now had two children a boy 5yrs old ang a girl turning two.. they both very ok.. actualy tomorow is my bby boys nursery graduation and top 1 sya.. when i was 16 yrs old nung una kmi nagkroon ng relationship 21 n sya nun airforce and graduted din as engneer... nung 18 ako nagtanan kmi.. hehe very filipino the word tanan.. at first lahat glit n glit smin dhil very close clan kmi and we had p yrly reunion.. pero after :lipsrsealed: ilang months ntangap n rin kmi ng lahat ng kmag ank nmin... kasal nlng ang kulang at naghehesitate nga lng kmi mgpkasal dhil nga bka hindi pwede pero knina lng npanood ko s bistado n pwede daw pla magpakasal ang second cousin dto stin s pilipinas..

emonchelle,

Since it was in this thread, and we have several Filipino members, I approved your post. Do keep in mind though that the site is based in the US, and the majority of members are either from here, or at the very least do not speak (I assume it's) Tagalog. I think I get the gist of what you are saying, but if you can, I would like to see it in English.

Please don't take this as me being patronizing, I would just like to know if what I'm gathering from your post is correct, and would like our other members to be able to understand also....  :wink:

Hawk, I agree. I was born and raised in the Philippines. I've been in the states for 24 years now. I speak Tagalog too. It's easier for more me to write in English because my Android phone's Swype does not give me all the Tagalog words.  Thanks.

Hi,

It's comforting to know that I have "kabayans" in this page. Just want to ask u August how'd it all go with telling your parents? Me and my cousin actually in a secret realtionship for 7 years now, and it's a struggle for us everytime we have family events. We're planning to move some place were we can get married and live freely, but im not ready to leave my mom and dad yet, they need me badly.

Im thinking opening the topic to my mom, but im pretty sure they wont accept the idea, we are close Roman Catholic. Maybe you can give me some ideas.

may i know what kind of cousin.couples are you? first?third or second? 'coz if you're second/third, you can actualky get married here in the philippines even in your religion. well if both of you are capableto go abroad then go for.it. we have same.plans, i actually left my.family, im nw leaving with my fiance,s family, both have a.job, and slowly reaching and doing something.for.our future.plans, especiqlly to get.married....

:laugh:So good to know n mdmi pla ako ktulad n situation.. im now in a relationship with my second cousin.. hes my fathers first cousin.. we now had two children a boy 5yrs old ang a girl turning two.. they both very ok.. actualy tomorow is my bby boys nursery graduation and top 1 sya.. when i was 16 yrs old nung una kmi nagkroon ng relationship 21 n sya nun airforce and graduted din as engneer... nung 18 ako nagtanan kmi.. hehe very filipino the word tanan.. at first lahat glit n glit smin dhil very close clan kmi and we had p yrly reunion.. pero after :lipsrsealed: ilang months ntangap n rin kmi ng lahat ng kmag ank nmin... kasal nlng ang kulang at naghehesitate nga lng kmi mgpkasal dhil nga bka hindi pwede pero knina lng npanood ko s bistado n pwede daw pla magpakasal ang second cousin dto stin s pilipinas..

..yes se ond cousins are actually allowed to get married in the philippines. how lucky are you. im glad to know.about your children. our,s is 1yr and 4mos.nw. and really intelligent, i can see her growth and development which is.really advance and easily learns something . she's healthy and so pretty....

hi! thanks God.. i saw ur post hr.. im a filipina..and my bf is half japanese and phil.. wer 1st cousin.. we have a baby girl and shes 9 months old..we got married hr n japan..but sad to say the philippine wont legalize r paper so its a null..all of our relativ was agains to r relationship so we stowaway:) and now wer hir..

wow.. nice to see fellow "kababayans" (countrymen) here.. ^_^

Thanks August for sharing some information about our history.. it's really nice to know.. i will take note of them..  :grin:

We all struggle on the Philippine law that cousin marriages are not allowed.. Well anyway, certificates are just certificates.. Not all married have happy endings and there are some people who are not married but still HAPPY BEING TOGETHER..

Just like what i said.. "being married" is not a "solution" for a relationship to grow.. Married or not for as long as LOVE is TRUE and both of you are willing to make that DREAM COME TRUE to be together forever.. MAKE IT HAPPEN.. Don't allow anyone to tell you how you will live your life.. It's your life.. IT'S YOUR CHOICE..

wow.. nice to see fellow "kababayans" (countrymen) here.. ^_^

Thanks August for sharing some information about our history.. it's really nice to know.. i will take note of them..  :grin:

We all struggle on the Philippine law that cousin marriages are not allowed.. Well anyway, certificates are just certificates.. Not all married have happy endings and there are some people who are not married but still HAPPY BEING TOGETHER..

Just like what i said.. "being married" is not a "solution" for a relationship to grow.. Married or not for as long as LOVE is TRUE and both of you are willing to make that DREAM COME TRUE to be together forever.. MAKE IT HAPPEN.. Don't allow anyone to tell you how you will live your life.. It's your life.. IT'S YOUR CHOICE..

hmm, as I could still remember, I really did a huge effort on these information, it took me a long and hard time to research all those details... just wanted to boost up my self that im not alone / we're not alone.... realizing those popular people who had been on the same track like us.... yeah you're right, marriage is just a legal paper. lot of married couples out there just ended up on separation... for me, its up to you, both of you on how u consider each other... as forever husband and wife....

i need some advice here. i also have that so called.forbidden affair with my cousin. in our case our parents are brothers on their mother side.obviously they have different father. now, i wanna marry my cousin but he left me because of this issue.. can someone please give me a legal advice on this. we are both filipino citizen so, is it possible for us to continue this? i really really really love him. this is really heart breaking.

Help naman po..nagkagustuhan kami ng aking pamangkin..bale anak ng pinsan ko.nain love kmi sa isat isa at may nangyari na samin.alm na ng pinsan ko at ok naman daw.tanggap nila ako.ang problema ko na lang po ang pamilya ko..tanung ko lang po kung ok lang  ba yun na nainlove  ako sa kadugo ko.posible kaya maging hindi ok ang ang mga anak namin?thank you po..

Akala ko din ako lang me gantong issue sa buhay ko .. Nalulungkot ako kasi ung partner ko na blood related ko is natauhan.. Gusto nalang nyang maging magkaibigan malang ulit kami .. Badly hurt ako .. Napaka sakit lalaki ako pero every night umiiyak ako .. Hindi ko alam kung nakakita sya ng iba, or kung anung pag kukulang ko sa kanya.. ang swerte ng iba nating kauri dito.. Na ung iba ay natanggap .. May you have a happy family mga kauri ..

Ganyan din kami .. Bale first cousin onced removed mo sya .. Akin pinsan ng ama ko pero isang taon lang ang age gap namin ..lalaki Pilit akong lumalaban pero ung partner ko .. Parang nawalan sya ng lakas ng loob para ipaglaban ung pag ibig namin .. Madaming kaming haharapin pero mas pinili kong maging masaya..

Hi kababayans. Im also in relationship with my 1st cousin. 1year na kame, same delema ayaw ng pamilya. Gusto sana namen ng karamay/kausap/kwentuhan. Hirap dito. Can someone message me in facebook para madali ung pag uusap? Eto po ung link. www.facebook.com/imathineager PM and add nyo ko para makaaccept ko. Paki indicate na cousincouple nyo ko nakilala :)

Hello guys how are u fellows?... it made me smile reading this post of mine. I made this out of my desperation of getting married with my cousin,. I was so desperate and problenatic that time, struggling with the pressures on our cousin relationship with my husband. So i did  research about this. Marami nmn palang mous filipino cousin couples like us. Even our national heroe. This had really strengthen me back thn and until now. Im just glad that now we're married and not that depressed and problematic at all. Just figh for your love. Wala silang magagawa if we are strong and capable of soing what they dont expect. Like getting married.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0