• Announcements

• KC

Get Smart on the Web   09/16/2016

Be informed on better ways to stay safe on the web -- Source: Mozilla
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ALWAYSLOVEDYOU

Marriage in the US Virgin Islands

This topic has had no activity within the past six months. It is recommended that you start a new topic instead of replying to old topics.

3 posts in this topic

Hello

We are wondering if us being first cousins can we legally be married in the US Virgin Islands ST Croix to be exact? We currently are residents of Pennsylvania which prohibits so that isn't an option. We are thinking about moving to the virgin islands. Can anyone please help we truly would appreciate it  :cheesy:

ALWAYSLOVEDYOU,

First, the standard disclaimer, We do not give legal advice here on the site. YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary), and all of this is of an informational nature only. That said.....

It took me a while, but here's what I found. From what it shows here, cousins are not on the list. I'll post links to the pdf's for St. Thomas, (which does ask if you are related, and to what degree) and St. Croix. (Which does not ask) You do have to jump through a few hoops to get married there, namely, attaching any previous divorce decrees, having paperwork filled out before you arrive, or being able to stick around for (IIRC) 8 days for processing, and so on. Your travel agency can put you in contact with the proper offices to contact. PROVIDED, Pennsylvania does NOT have a clause in their Marriage Act about marrying elsewhere specifically to avoid the prohibition. In that case, you would probably NOT get a travel agency to help you skirt the law. At least not knowingly. At the moment, I don't have time to look up the PA statutes for you to see. You should be able to google "PA Marriage Act" or "PA Marriage Law" and look for voidable marriages. You are looking for specific wording to the effect of "specifically to avoid this Act" or some such similar verbiage. Of course, if you move there, all of that is moot.

You will notice in the link to the pdf for St. Thomas, that it is from a travel agency which arranges marriage trips. In looking for these statutes, I do believe either the same agency or another similar one has the same services available for St. Croix. Happy hunting. Again, google "Virgin Island Marriage" and they will be there, ready to arrange your dream wedding, and relieve you of some of your $$$$.  :grin:

Without further ado....

16 V.I.C. ? 1

Copyright ? 2013 Office of the Code Revisor, Legislature of the Virgin Islands

*** Statutes current through Act 7471 of the 2012 Regular Session ***

TITLE SIXTEEN  Domestic Relations 

Chapter 1.  Marriage 

Subchapter I.  Marriages

16 V.I.C. ? 1  (2013)

? 1.  Void marriages

(a) A marriage is prohibited and void from the beginning, without being so decreed and its nullity may be shown in any collateral proceeding, when it is between--

(1) a man and his grandmother, grandfather's wife, wife's grandmother, father's sister, mother's sister, mother, stepmother, wife's mother, daughter, wife's daughter, son's wife, sister, son's daughter, daughter's daughter, son's son's wife, daughter's son's wife, wife's son's daughter, wife's daughter's daughter, brother's daughter or sister's daughter;

(2) a woman and her grandfather, grandmother's husband, husband's grandfather, father's brother, mother's brother, father, stepfather, husband's father, son, husband's son, daughter's husband, brother, son's son, daughter's son, son's daughter's husband, daughter's daughter's husband, husband's son's son, husband's daughter's son, brother's son or sister's son; or

(3) any persons either of whom has been previously married and whose previous marriage has not been terminated by death or a decree of divorce.

(B) Any of such marriages may also be declared to have been null and void by judicial decree.

St. Croix http://www.visuperiorcourt.org/pdf/Marriage-License-and-Certificate.pdf

St. Thomas http://www.perfectweddingsofstthomas.com/images/applicationformarriagelicense.pdf 

Another helpful link perhaps http://www.guidetocaribbeanvacations.com/usvi/MarriageRules.htm

PS to Colorado Married or KC: Feel free to comment as well, if you should have more specific knowledge I may have overlooked.

Sorry I'm just now seeing this.

Yes, you can get married in St. Croix and the marriage would be legal.  However, PA law says your marriage is "voidable", so if you return to PA and the marriage is challenged, it could be declared "void from its beginning" by a competent court as long as both of you are still alive.  This is not likely to be an issue unless a person with standing brings it before a court.  That could include either of you (say one of you decides later to file for divorce and the other decides it's more beneficial to seek to have the marriage declared void) or one of your parents, siblings, step-children, or any other person who believes s/he has a legitimate claim to child custody, property, or inheritance.  It does not include jilted past girlfriends, nosy neighbors, or secret agents who read this site looking for cousin-loving terrorists.

Naturally, I'll give "legal" advice all day long but I'm saying this as I look at my law degree that I just made in crayon and affixed a pretty seal with Elmer's glue, so take it for what it's worth  :wink:

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0