• Announcements

• KC

Get Smart on the Web   09/16/2016

Be informed on better ways to stay safe on the web -- Source: Mozilla
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest Shaneandlaura

First child...do you tell your OB/GYN about your kinship

This topic has had no activity within the past six months. It is recommended that you start a new topic instead of replying to old topics.

4 posts in this topic

We are expecting our first child in December. I'm wondering if other cousin couples with children together told their doctor that they are related. We already have the blood tests for Cystic Fibrosis, Down Syndrome, and Spina Bifida set up. Is it necessary to tell the doctor? I'm mostly wondering if they will do extra testing or just refer us to a genetic counselor? Thanks in advance.

My fiance & I are first cousins once removed. When I was pregnant with my son, I told my OB/GYN. They were very respectful and nonjudgmental and referred us to a genetic counselor. We went for one visit and the guy told us that there was nothing to worry about and that we no longer had to come in. If I were you, I would tell them, just in case. It can't hurt! Wishing you a happy and healthy pregnancy =)

i agree with globe_horse. tell your doctor. if your doctor feels there are any reasons to be concerned, then she/he can refer you to a GC.... a GC will just want a detailed medical history from both sides of the family to see if there are any other genetic disorders carried on both sides... and then if there are, you can be tested for those specific things (if there are tests available.) but they wouldn't just do random tests without knowing if a disorder was carried on both sides.

Thank you for your advice! Our next appointment is May 20th and we will talk with our doctor then. :)

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0