• KC

Get Smart on the Web   09/16/2016

Be informed on better ways to stay safe on the web -- Source: Mozilla
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
lacousin28

Any Mormon cousins?

22 posts in this topic

Yes, my wife and I are LDS. I have not seen many posts on here from members but the occasional conversation happens and in particular the position the church or a particular bishop may have on cousin marriage.

HEPSMP

I talked to my branch pres and he told me that as long as we married legally and legal in the state we lived it was ok. What have you heard? I was completely berated by my ex before talking to my branch pres however! He kept lying to me telling me that the pres had told him it was not ok at all!

lacousin28

We checked with our bishop as well as my wife's father who is also a bishop. We got the same response from both. Abide by our Article of Faith 12 (obey the law) that we are good to go. We married with the full blessing of both. Her ex did not attempt to block us - he might not have agreed but he also knew there was nothing he could do to stop us.

HEPSMP,

Thank you so much! It is nice to know that I'm not the only LDS on here! Hearing a reconformation of what i have been told means a lot!

How have you been accepted in your ward? I haven't told many people in mine, well I should say I haven't told anyone (except my branch pres) my ex has, but have talked to one of the people he told.

Heather

Heather,

The only person who knows for certain is bishop. Others may have noticed that her maiden (and first married - she kept hers, and now her married name are the same) name on her records is the same last name as mine - it is a very unique name - but have not said anything. So, we are very accepted and have had no fallout from us being cousins that we know of. Her Visiting Teachers know we are distantly related (measured by us living 1,000 miles apart when we dated) and there has been no fallout from that either. I think people accept more for who we are and how we try to treat others.

I got to visit my first branch while on vacation earlier this month!  Same thing as a ward - but still my first.

HEPSMP

I talked to my branch pres and he told me that as long as we married legally and legal in the state we lived it was ok. What have you heard? I was completely berated by my ex before talking to my branch pres however! He kept lying to me telling me that the pres had told him it was not ok at all!

Listen to your Branch President - he is correct. The church has no position on cousin marriage outside of Article of Faith 12. Consider the source of the person claiming to speak on behalf of the Church or your Branch President - if my wife and I heeded the "counsel" of her ex-husband we would be living under a rock and in a cardboard box. He does not have our best interests at heart (understandable) and I doubt that yours does either.

HEPSMP

I was always wondering if there were any other Mormon cousin couples out there.  :smiley: Was wondering for months whether it was ok to marry, I figured it was so, due to the church's policy on incest being such between people so closely related that by law they couldn't marry, but we weren't really for sure till he asked his bishop, who after much research and I think his bishop asked the stake president maybe... and anyhow came to say the same. However, though we figured all that out on our own, it is nice to see others  :grin:

Yes.    We are Mormon.    We just got engaged after a very long and rough period of our lives.  We as well got the ok from our bishop.  Not that it would have mattered if they didn't approve.    Used this site a few years ago before i came out about my first cousin.  Very helpful

Interestingly, many states have passed laws to stop Mormans from marrying underage relatives. The new Texas law that prohibits marriage between cousins was targeted at the 'runaway' Mormon sects. I'm not bashing, I just think it is interesting.

I would like to bring this subject up again if there is anyone out there wanting to talk about it???

My cousin who i'm attracted to is a mormon but he's sort of going against it for personal reasons because a lot of them try and take them away from family when family members aren't a mormon. It makes sense to me as a reason for why i weren't brought up with him but its life of course  :smiley:

Is your cousin not attracted to you?

Maybe not attracted to me as it seems at the moment but he's a gf anyway so if the relationship ends with his gf, then who knows. He knows i'm attracted to him though but there's no hard feelings anyway.

The reason he knows is i sent him a naughty message on fb, it was after a night out and i was getting a lot of attention anyway being called sexy and hot and stuff, not surprising though since i dress sexy, so i was just thinking of my cousin so it all came out in alcohol lol 

I will admit i did like the attention but who doesn't? lol

nessa76

Interestingly, many states have passed laws to stop Mormans from marrying underage relatives. The new Texas law that prohibits marriage between cousins was targeted at the 'runaway' Mormon sects. I'm not bashing, I just think it is interesting.

yeah, the infamous warren jeffs. ugh.

Hello Guys, I just want to share my big problem... I'm so in love with my cousin for almost 12 years, i was 25 yrs old and he is 28.. i'm so faithful to him because i love him so much. God knows how much i love him..We have a plan to marry but it's very difficult because it's illegal in the Philippines. we had a promise to each other that we will be together again someday.. yes we are far away for almost 5 years. he is working in US. he promised that he will not leave me no matter what happen. Until now i'm hoping that he will not change because he is my life and i can't live without him. 4  months ago i found out that he has another woman and it almost killed myself.. I don't know what to do during that time. i can't eat and i cried every night. i can't accept after how many years of our relationship will end of nothing.. But he said he will never change to me. i've never heard from him to say Sorry.  It's so painful to me because i don't want to think that he will leave me after all. When we are together we are so happy and contented in our life. We help each other and have lot's of dream. But it's hard to stay together not legal. So he tried to go in US as tourist and he so lucky approved by the embassy. I've never forget what he said He will not let me down. It's so hard for me to far away with my love. I want to go in US but it's difficult to apply as tourist, i've tried once but i was failed.  I just pray to God hope my dreams will come true to be with him and marry...

Also in Italy there are Mormon communities, and as I have some acquaintances. Contrary to what it says are people like any other. Far from the technology (and maybe that's good)

Hi,

My cousin and I were raised were Mormon just less active right now but are scared to go back due to our relationship and if we get married. Is it possible to be sealed in the temple? How much fallout have you experienced? Have you had troubles with sharing the family last name if you are married? Thanks.

since cousin marriage is ok in the eyes of the mormon church, i see no reason why you couldn't have a temple ceremony. that wouldn't be a factor.

My wife and I are active Mormons. Our oldest son is getting ready to leave on his mission. Many members of our ward know that we are cousins and have not had any backlash at all. We do however, live in the "tolerant Northwest"

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0