• Announcements

• KC

Get Smart on the Web   09/16/2016

Be informed on better ways to stay safe on the web -- Source: Mozilla
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Loreal14

New here... Afraid to tell family

This topic has had no activity within the past six months. It is recommended that you start a new topic instead of replying to old topics.

5 posts in this topic

My cousin and I have been dating secretly for 6 months, and he said he is preparing to tell our family because he cannot live a lie. I am adopted, and he is my first cousin once removed. We are afraid our family will disown us. I'm hoping because I am adopted it will not be an issue. Advice?

More information would be helpful in giving advice, especially your ages, do you live at home

are you self sufficient, are you in school or working, etc.

We both have good jobs and are in our early 30's. His job allows him to go pretty much where he wants, I have a good job, so he would have to move near me, which he is willing to do.

You are both adults and a free to make your own decisions in your lives.  The prospect of family's rejection can be very intimidating - most of us here understand that fear.  But you know, sometimes our families surprise us with their acceptance.  Mine did!  You know your family and have a sense of how they might react, so you have to decide if this relationship is worth some family rejection/nagging/scolding/sour looks....

I see no reason for you two not to do what seems best for you.  After waiting nearly 30 years, I am finally with my first cousin.  Both of us now regret having waiting so long.  Don't wake up one morning wishing that you would have made a different choice.

They found out two days ago quite by accident. His dad seems to go back and forth with it, and his mom wishes I was dead, and says there's no way she will ever accept it. They are less concerned with the cousin part and more concerned with the age part. I am so upset. I haven't slept in  2 nights. He said he is relieved because they didn't react as badly as he thought they would. I feel differently. I think they reacted just as bad as I suspected. His mom said if I ever show my face around there she will kill me.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0