• Announcements

• KC

Get Smart on the Web   09/16/2016

Be informed on better ways to stay safe on the web -- Source: Mozilla
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
nsdc

Has anyone though of writing a book?

This topic has had no activity within the past six months. It is recommended that you start a new topic instead of replying to old topics.

13 posts in this topic

AManda and I are heavily thinking about writing a book of our trials and tribulations of being in a cousin relationship. We have had so many crazy events happen in the past 3 years, that we feel its time to start Putining a book together.

Thoughts? Ideas? suggestions?

This is something nether of us have any experience in

i'd start with collecting your stories on a blog... or perhaps audio recordings. then later you can sort them into whatever order you want, and edit them as necessary.

I am writing a book right now, and I started it about ten years ago.  We're not together, and the book will be considered fiction so as not to out us cause we've never been out.  Hopefully I'll be done in about a year, and it'll be all over the world.  :smiley:

We talked about writing a book about our love story. It's almost 36 years since we met. When we finally live together, we'll start writing it. Lots of stories and memories.

As far as I know I am the only published author currently on site and I have a few pointers for anyone who is planning or working on a book. 

Study writing techniques - take a course, join a writing group and/or do a LOT of reading of well written books. 

Write and rewrite.  Read out loud to hear how it sounds.

Proofread, proofread, proofread.  Computer spell check will allow lots and lots of errors. 

After my first draft was done, I had two good friends with PhDs in English proofread it for me.  And we still had errors, one of which made it into the published version!!!  lol

I encourage you to work hard on your books - just putting one word after another is NOT IMO writing.  Sloppy writing is just sloppy.

If you want to ask questions, feel free to send me a pm.  Good luck.

HUGS

Nat

Hey, Nat!  Thanks for the advice.  Can you tell me where I can find what you've published?

It is THE GOOD, THE FAST AND THE HEALTHY by Jean Millar. A cookbook for people with dietary restrictions.  From Trafford Publishing.

Thanks for asking.

HUGS

Nat

As far as I know I am the only published author currently on site and I have a few pointers for anyone who is planning or working on a book. 

Study writing techniques - take a course, join a writing group and/or do a LOT of reading of well written books. 

Write and rewrite.  Read out loud to hear how it sounds.

Proofread, proofread, proofread.  Computer spell check will allow lots and lots of errors. 

After my first draft was done, I had two good friends with PhDs in English proofread it for me.  And we still had errors, one of which made it into the published version!!!  lol

I encourage you to work hard on your books - just putting one word after another is NOT IMO writing.  Sloppy writing is just sloppy.

If you want to ask questions, feel free to send me a pm.  Good luck.

HUGS

Nat

I was getting ready to write this.

Couldn;t have been said better.

It may also be a good idea to hire a writer to take your thoughts  that can put together an outline so that the book isn;t confusing and has a flow that makes sense to the reader.

Many think writing is putting words on paper. This is far from the truth.

If you do not realize the complication of writing a book, then you probably shouldn't be writing one.

I am a published writer and had considered a book.

It seems to me that once the same sex marriage controversy has passed, it would be a great window of opportunity to put something outthere that can represent us.

As long as it is not just a comic book.

No offense Just sayin'.

i self published a couple of books at one point. i did a book of poetry and a cookbook, and a reprint of something about cousins in america that is in the public domain. i published them through cafepress though, and that account is long gone.

nat's advice is dead on... nothing is worse than picking up a book that is poorly edited.

Thanks for the kind words. y'all - I actually got a small (very small) royalty check the other day!  LOL

HUGS

Nat

i think its time we start this.

Amanda has a friend who has written books before, she sudjested we sit down and do like an autobiography and she will convert it into a book.

thoughts? ideas? opinions?

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0