• Announcements

• KC

Get Smart on the Web   09/16/2016

Be informed on better ways to stay safe on the web -- Source: Mozilla
crackers

Kids & Familial Titles

This topic has had no activity within the past six months. It is recommended that you start a new topic instead of replying to old topics.

8 posts in this topic

Back again! This time with a "lighter" dilemma, similar theme. To recap, RJ (my first cousin) and I have been together since 2012; he has two kids from a previous marriage. We are quickly becoming a neat package.  The kids are aware of our cousin-relationship, and they are taking it on their own pace.  Here's the latest question:

How should the kids address "my" side of the family? Specifically, my mom. and my sister.  Will my mom always be considered "aunt" to them? I personally would rather they refer to my mom & sister by their first names, but that is a bit of a foreign concept to the kids. 

I'm not sure why I care so much, but it really bugs me. It's like  when they call me their cousin, I feel it as an attempt to invalidate my romantic relationship with RJ.

Anyone in the same boat? How do your kids use family titles?

thanks!

your mom is not their aunt anyway. your mom is their first cousin once removed. they should call her by her first name.

wait. she may be a great aunt. dang i need a pencil to diagram this out.

found a pen. ok, your mom is his children's great aunt. your sister (and you, for that matter) are his children's first cousins once removed.

if you and he were to marry, then your mom would become their grandmother. so for now, why not pick some generic sounding name to call her? mimi or something?

I call mine Aunt-Mom (She is my wife's mother and my uncles ex wife. My wife calls my dad Uncle Dad LOL!

You feel like a 7 and 11 year old are trying to invalidate your romantic relationship with their dad? .......

They're just little kids. They are just used to things being a certain way. Give them a little bit of a break. They have called your mom "aunt so & so" their whole lives, right? Personally, I would never feel comfortable referring to my aunt by her first name after a lifetime of calling her Aunt first. Just my two cents.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor