• Announcements

• KC

Get Smart on the Web   09/16/2016

Be informed on better ways to stay safe on the web -- Source: Mozilla
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Twix

We really need some advice.

This topic has had no activity within the past six months. It is recommended that you start a new topic instead of replying to old topics.

8 posts in this topic

After being together for five years, my cousin finally purposed on June 5th. I was so excited and he was so excited, we were both so happy. We wanted to get married straightaway, but then we began looking into the actual steps that we need to take to get married in our state and we found out that we need two witnesses. Now, I am aware that for most people this is not really a problem, but for us it is a HUGE one. None of our family support us (they vehemently believe we have no business ever even looking at each other in anything other than a platonic way, let alone actually getting married and want nothing to do with either of us) and we are extremely isolated because of that. Neither of us even have friends in the area any more because of our relationship. I have no idea what to do and we are absolutely devastated.

I was hoping that any of you wonderful people might know of something that we are unaware of or can point us in a right direction. Anything would help.

*EDIT*: Sorry, I forgot to mention that we live in Alaska.

I don't know where you are and you need not say if you don't want.

My cuz/hubby and I went to the county courthouse, got our license  and the nice clerk found a judge for us.

The witnesses were a couple of people that worked at the court building.  I don't think you have to have  friends or

family, just someone to witness that you got married.  Ask and see.

I agree with Romalee. There is nothing which specifically states that the witnesses have to actually know you guys. :) Explain your situation to them - they can most likely help you.

the only requirement for a person to act as a witness is to be of legal age. they can be two strangers you met on the street. do you live in a populated area or in a remote village where finding two neutral people to act as witnesses would be impossible? (and even then, you could hop a bush plane to one of the larger cities... )

We live in Fairbanks, the second largest city in Alaska. I'm just not overly sure how we would go about asking a stranger on the street if they would be a witness for us. It is nice to know that legal age is the only requirement though, I really thought it had to be someone who knew us personally.

Thank you all for your help, I will try your suggestions as soon as I can! It's nice to know that there is still hope for us getting married. Thank you again!

You might ask at the court house if they have some one who will be your witnesses.

You may not need to just  get someone off the street.

Best wishes to you both and we are here for support. Keep us posted.

yes, when you get to the courthouse, tell the judge or whoever will be officiating over your marriage that you have no witnesses. the judge will likely have his staff act as witnesses.

i remember my husband once needed some legal documents signed with a witness, and notarized. we went to the bank to get the notarizing done and that, since i was his wife, i was not eligible to witness it, the person in line behind us volunteered.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0