Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest David18

Complicated Legal

This topic has had no activity within the past six months. It is recommended that you start a new topic instead of replying to old topics.

10 posts in this topic

Um. Hi.

So after years of crushing on her, I finally found out that my cousin likes me back! Yay! Now we have to deal with complicated legal and family issues... awww.

We both live in Texas, and we have to stay at least for the next few years. This means we have to deal with that difficult law that prohibits marriage and intercourse between first cousins. First of all, does anyone know if anyone has actually been prosecuted by this law? Also, I think we may have a loophole. My cousin isn't my cousin by blood, which I recognize doesn't matter because the law specifically says "by adoption". But she also was never official adopted by my uncle. So... mainly I was wondering if that definition of adoption is just legal words for "by law/marriage".

if she is not legally your uncle's daughter, than she's not legally your cousin, either.

You need to consult a lawyer to be sure.  We do not give legal advice here. 

Good luck.

Nat

Quick solution: if you and she do want to get married, get married in another state, like New Mexico or Colorado.  Then you'll be legally married.  As far as I can tell, the law still won't allow you to consummate that marriage, but I find it highly doubtful that any prosecutor would be dumb enough to try to prosecute a legally married couple, assuming they could get courtroom quality evidence (which basically means either a confession or eye-witness to the actual intercourse).  But, as LadyC pointed out, if she was not adopted by your uncle and your uncle is her step-father, she is not your cousin by either blood or adoption, so the whole thing is irrelevant.

My cousin and I live in Utah and the law here is stupid. First cousins can married if they both are 55 and one cannot produce offspring or at least one is over 65. Really lame. We both cannot reproduce anyway. That's not the case. It was too much to fight for so we went to California and got married. Easy!!! We are back in Utah and happy

Some laws are lame and stupid. So what are they saying in utah, that 55 is the only age that cousins are sure about getting married, i don't think so  :rolleyes:

nessa76

i always thought utah's law was 55 OR unable to reproduce. hmmmm....

Its crazy, honestly its a joke. Glad you Feona67 could get married somewhere else. Can cousins get married in Las Vegas?

nessa76

no to las vegas. i lived there for ten years. i'm glad i was married (in texas back when it was still legal) before moving to vegas!

I don't see how you guys could be prevented from marriage if you are neither blood nor legal cousins. It just doesn't make sense.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0