• Announcements

• KC

Get Smart on the Web   09/16/2016

Be informed on better ways to stay safe on the web -- Source: Mozilla
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
egy1

First cousin couple and immigration laws

This topic has had no activity within the past six months. It is recommended that you start a new topic instead of replying to old topics.

6 posts in this topic

Hello everyone, I'm new to this forum and this is actually my first topic, I am from Egypt and I am  married to my first cousin and was going to apply for a job in US, the employer sponsors J1/ H1B is it possible for me to sponsor my wife on the J1 if the state laws (Ohio) ban cousin marriage? I really hope there's a way around this because I would hate it if I lost this opportunity.

i don't know anything about immigration, but you only need to claim your wife as your wife. the fact that you are first cousins is really irrelevant since you're already married.

yeah well, that's what I am going to do, I'm just afraid that the state wont recognize my marriage because it's against state law.

the state has to recognize your marriage, to my understanding, because it was performed and solemnized in your home country. also, they don't run genealogies on married couples who are moving into their state. you should be just fine.

it's a whole different story for american citizens who already live in a state where the marriage is illegal, because they are asked on the marriage license application if they are related. if they are, they can't marry. if they lie about it, the marriage is null and void and sometimes punishable by prison time. but that's not your situation.

by the way, a lot of folks around here prefer to include the disclaimer that we don't give legal advice. i figure that it goes without saying that i'm just an average citizen with a basic understanding of laws based on my own logic.

but i'm pretty positive that in this case, i'm right on target.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0