Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
meeno

mediterranean diet?

This topic has had no activity within the past six months. It is recommended that you start a new topic instead of replying to old topics.

16 posts in this topic

nope, don't even know what it is. i once did a low carb diet, lost a lot of weight in a pretty short time, but i was miserable and always felt deprived. i have decided the best "diet" is to simply eat less... less fried foods, less potatoes, less pasta, and smaller portions. eat more veggies if you can stand them. and eat meat. it doesn't even have to be lean meat if you're having small portions and plenty of veggies/fruits with your meal. lean meat is absurd anyway... you get health benefits from red meats, dark meat poultry, and pork.

Lady C is right.  Read food labels and MEASURE PORTIONS.  Don't eat a cup of something when the portion size is half a cup.  Try to make food from real ingredients without preservatives.  Avoid precooked and frozen meals - they are NOT healthy.

Good luck

HUGS

Nat

there is a way to have really awesome frozen dinners.... i love the convenience of taking something that is perfectly portioned out of the freezer and having a hot meal a few minutes later.

make your own!!!

i've started doing this with leftovers. sometimes i make double batches and freeze an entire family sized meal. it's perfect, really, because not only are you eating something quick and easy, you're eating something that (if you cooked your own) that you have hand-picked the side dishes.

and fyi, you can freeze them on coated paper plates (like dixie brand), and separate the foods by using press-and-seal. that will also help prevent freezer burn. then cover it with heavy duty foil and freeze. because it's on a coated plate, when you take it out of the freezer, you can pop it right off the plate and transfer it to a real plate for nuking.

Excellent Lady C!!!!

Now if someone one would only promote MY cookbook(Bossman?????) which is healthy cooking..........  LOL

It never gets any publicity and no one buys it :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Nat

is it on amazon? i'd like to see what all kinds of recipes you have in it. i'm such a picky eater LOL

Mediterranean diet is most preferable by the dietitians as the diet has mostly vegetables, fruits, berries, nuts and fish which are mostly low in calories and also rich in nutrition. So for a healthy lifestyle it is perfect for all.

I have always followed cycles of poor carb diet because doing a lot of sports proteins seem to weigh less. But eating a few carb increase my aggression and I have serious problems with constipation. is for this reason that I wanted to try a Mediterranean diet while eliminating excess fats such as olive oil, which is good, but perhaps that has too much fat.

as you can read, it says that olive oil is the basis dlla Mediterranean diet. But if I wanted to replace it with a lighter oil such as seeds or peanut?

you NEED fats in your diet. olive oil, coconut oil, those things are high fatty acids. if you're eating a lot of proteins you may be ingesting more of the other fats and getting the balance messed up. i'm not all that educated on those things, but i bet natt could explain better, because i think they're really important when you start having blood sugar issues. i'm just now trying to learn about them because the doctor said mom wasn't getting enough.

that being said, i do like peanut oil. especially for deep frying, back when i used to do that sort of thing. it was a clean oil with no smoky residue, but is better for high temp cooking than coconut and olive oil.

personally, i'd try coconut oil if i were you. i've been googling as i type this. i found this blog where it specifically addresses your concerns about olive oil and the Mediterranean diet.  http://www.thekitchenskinny.com/olive-oil-vs-coconut-oil/

of course i'm a big fan of coconut oil anyway. it's healthy internally and can give you a better (healthier) pre-workout boost than the sugars and carbs that can cause the crash and burn effect... and it's also healthy externally. i use it as a moisturizer and (don't freak) as an alternative to deoderant. seriously! i started breaking out under my arms with a rash, and so for a few days i thought i'd just try to heal it up, so i used coconut oil. what i discovered was that not only did it heal the rash, it also worked BETTER than deodorant, and worked pretty darn well as an antiperspirant too. it also helps the feet stay soft. anyway, i'm getting off on a totally different subject LOL. you get the idea, i'm a fan.

Check what the dietitians are SELLING = usually they are in the game to make $$$$$.

I go back to the READ LABELS and MEASURE portions.  Just because it says something on the net does NOT make it true.

I'd like to be able to know what the so-called "experts" own stocks in - follow the $$$$ always.

Any diet with a special name is probably hooked into sales of books or other stuff.

Good luck

Nat

good advice, but..... seriously? mark always tells me that if it's on the internet, it MUST be true! ROFL :D

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0