• Announcements

• KC

Get Smart on the Web   09/16/2016

Be informed on better ways to stay safe on the web -- Source: Mozilla
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sunnyduck21

Marriage laws

This topic has had no activity within the past six months. It is recommended that you start a new topic instead of replying to old topics.

8 posts in this topic

Hi gang.

I'm european and my girlfriend(cousin) is oriental asian.

From what I know from the laws, my country allows cousin marriage but her country doesn't. I'm wondering if she moves over to my country,

marry me and live with me here. Does her home country law do any impact on our situation?

I've been googling for months without finding any stories that's related to my situation.

Then I came across this site, if there's no answers here then I guess I'll go to a lawyer.

A short detailed description of us:

We are first cousins and born in the same year. We met each other for the first time in last summer. I spent my vacation at her home.

After I left her home, we kept contact regularly with Skype and Viber. Kinda amazing that we had so good contact with each other.

So I decided to visit her again this summer, and we became a couple. A very long distance couple.

Before we keep on going with our relationship, we want to make sure that we can get married and live in peace within the laws.

Any lawyers or someone with same experience can give us the answers?

A reply is greatly appreciated!

best regards,

Fox & Duck

laws only apply to the country one lives in. if she moves to europe and you two get married and continue living in europe, she is then under european law, not asia's law.

Thank you for the reply!

I'm sorry for not giving out our story like other members did in the forum, since we want to stay anonymous as much as possible.

I've been wondering about this problem since I read the state marriage law in USA,

if you get married in another state that allows cousin marriage, your marriage will become void when you get back.

I guess this gives us a big confident boost to continue our relationship.

We've decided to tell our family about our relationship in 2016, when I'm done with college.

But I kinda feel like my family knows about it.... Still no reaction yet though, but they do know that we have good contact with each other.

sunnyduck21,

This is where it is so confusing here in the US. Only SOME States have the "void" clause in the law. Some will allow cousins to marry in other States, then return, and  the State will recognize it. Some will recognize it IF the marriage was not solely to avoid the prohibition. It gets tedious trying to keep up with it.

All of that is fine and good, but, as LadyC has correctly stated, being in Europe, should she move there, it would be legal. My suggestion is, if this is your intention, and what you both want, do it. Family may freak out, they may be fine with it, or, as is often the case, the reaction will be somewhere in between. Some may be fine with it, and others may not. You'll just have to cross your bridges as you come to them. Since the better part of Asia has traditional aversions to the practice, of one form or another, you'll probably get some push-back. The best you can do is stand your ground, and try to explain the facts, and benefits of the arrangement. Try to talk them into stepping back from the cousin part of it, and get them to admit that if it were not for that, and the customs against it, you two are an acceptable match, that might have otherwise been preferred, if not arranged, by them. Once they admit that, then is where you lay the science and facts on them. Oh, and let them know they may as well accept it, because that's how it's going to be...

Thank you for the reply!

I'm sorry for not giving out our story like other members did in the forum, since we want to stay anonymous as much as possible.

I've been wondering about this problem since I read the state marriage law in USA,

if you get married in another state that allows cousin marriage, your marriage will become void when you get back.

actually, it's kinda refreshing that you didn't write a novel telling every detail of your background :D

yeah, like hawk said, it gets confusing trying to keep up with the state laws here. but the thing is, even here in the states, if you actually move and take up residency in a state where it is legal, then it's legal. period. even if you decide ten years later to move back to the home state, the marriage is still legal because the couple lived in a legal state when they married. it only becomes void (in some places) if you marry somewhere that you have not established residency, and then go back to living in the state where you wouldn't have been allowed to marry.

and for the last time, Texas says that it's incest married or not. Until a judge rules on this, if ever, it's up in the air.

I spoke with the delegate's aid and he said nobody realized they were changing the marriage laws and nobody complained!! Idiots. They don't read these bills!

they can't and won't prosecute anyone in texas for having sex with their husband or wife. won't happen. it's the whole sodomy law all over again. they will not intrude into the bedroom. besides, anyone married to a first cousin who married prior to 2005 (i think that's when the law changed) would be exempt anyway, because it WAS legal in the state of texas at the time. they can't prosecute anything that was already deemed legal under the law.

thanks you guys so much for replies, really appreciate it!!

You guys just basically told me exactly what I wanted to hear!!

Since the law won't become a problem anymore, we'll keep on going with our "secret love"  :cheesy:

As for telling our parents, we've decided to wait until we are done with colleges so we're older in "number".

Because I'm certain that if I tell them now, they will say that our relationship was "hasty", "naive", "ignorant" or "too young to decide".

*feels 100kg lighter now*

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0