• Announcements

• KC

Get Smart on the Web   09/16/2016

Be informed on better ways to stay safe on the web -- Source: Mozilla
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jguilt

Any other cooks out there?

This topic has had no activity within the past six months. It is recommended that you start a new topic instead of replying to old topics.

13 posts in this topic

Subject says it all. Anyone out there a cook?

I've been cooking for close to ten years now.

So far:

Culinary school (a mistake)

Restaurants:

A high end American cuisine restaurant and hotel.

A high end Fusion cuisine restaurant at a golf course.

A brewery/pub with standard but high quality American cuisine.

A tex/mex restaurant.

Award winning ribs and BBQ joint.

Small American cuisine restaurant which will be featured on dinners, dives, and drive-ins .

Locally famous German and English cuisine restaurant.

Another locally famous American cuisine restaurant.

Right now I've moved back to working at both the tex/mex and BBQ places. It's nice to know I can be hired back but that also means I'm not learning anything new.

I've got my eye on another high end place I'd like to work at. I'm making friends with the chef.

jguilt,

I do a little cooking. DW is a decent cook, but she'll tell you I'm better.

Other than DQ when I was in high school, I've never done it for money. Two years ago I won a chili cook-off, and last year I got third. In the last several years, I've started doing some Cajun food. I've got the gumbo down, and the etouffee is real close. It's always good, but a couple times it has been excellent. I have to get consistent with it. I suspect it is subtle differences in the roux. Roux is an art, and I'm just now getting a little past the "paint by numbers" stage with it. I ALWAYS panic and stress when I'm doing the roux.

I have a very good friend who is a chef, and he's given me some tips and pointers along the way. I LOVE to help him cook, and he LOVES to have me. We did filet mignon for 30 one time, and it was an eye-opening experience for me. He made it look SSSSSSSSSSSOOOOOOOO easy. I made Cajun stuffed peppers for him one night, (something I just pulled out of my,,,,,well,,,,HAT) and made enough for him to come have some with us. He said they were the best stuffed peppers he had ever eaten.

I didn't realize that Italian Beef was somewhat a regional thing, and Nat and Roma had never heard of it. I have done it from scratch, but there is a little old Italian market the next town over that is famous around here for their Italian Beef Seasoning. I sent some to Nat and Roma. They liked it very well, and they made it themselves, never having done so before. It's pretty easy really. You need a crock pot, a decent roast, a packet of seasoning, a little water or beer, a jar of pepperoncini peppers (a few in the pot, a few cleaned and sliced on the sandwich), mozzarella, and hard rolls. 8 hrs later, Italian Beef sandwiches. But, I don't think you were looking for recipes..... :grin:

As most of my post need it but don't get it:

TL/DR is, yeah, I like to cook, but if I get any more serious, it will be like work. I think it best to keep my day job for now......

Well, dang it Hawk - you could have mentioned my cookbook!!!  LOL

I'm not  a professional cook but I have written and published a cookbook - mainly healthy recipes. 

I call it a "classic NON seller"!!!!  lol

Nat

I cook sometimes.. but my favorite thing to make is chicken parmesan !! yummy!

I have a portion of my blog that I have been adding recipes to. I'm an outdoorsman \ hunter interested in sustainability. I have been fiddling with bacon grease candles and have traveled all over which has really expanded my palate. Since I am into all kinds of stuff it isn't always easy to find the things I love to eat most and after traveling, I got tired of restaurants, I prefer to cook my stuff myself with my own tastes in mind.

I want to get into sous vide soon...mmmm....

I have cooked with torches, grills, big deep fryers, with chemicals etc...

I don't think you can completely appreciate food until you have harvested it (including gardening) then prepared it and used its parts for other things...jmho.

So far on my website I have:

Easy Blackened Tuna

Hungarian Peppers

bulgogi1

Korean BBQ (Bulgogi) Fire Meat

pho

Pho Thai style

Baked Spaghetti

Lox

Baby Clam Scampi

Ceviche (scallop)

Steak Tartare

Venison Burger

Tom \ Mozz  (Caprese) Salad

Cold Pasta Salad

No Butter Grilled Cheese & Vodka Gazpacho Shooters

Salsa Fresca

Basil Pesto

Pickled Eggs

Bacon Panko Mac n’ Cheese

One recipe I've fooled around with lately is cherry wood smoked pork tenderloin dry rubbed with salt, garlic powder and fennel seed.

Although that is more of an at home thing.

One dish I like making at the restaurant is a brine steamed rack of lamb. Partially steamed. After steaming, I dip it in an eggwash and coat it with a mixture of breadcrumbs, rosemary and fine ground dried basil.

I want to try something more adventurous, with hot peppers. I mean like Bhut or Naga Jolokia peppers.

The rack of lamb sounds awesome...Great with rosemary

One recipe I've fooled around with lately is cherry wood smoked pork tenderloin dry rubbed with salt, garlic powder and fennel seed.

Although that is more of an at home thing.

One dish I like making at the restaurant is a brine steamed rack of lamb. Partially steamed. After steaming, I dip it in an eggwash and coat it with a mixture of breadcrumbs, rosemary and fine ground dried basil.

I want to try something more adventurous, with hot peppers. I mean like Bhut or Naga Jolokia peppers.

I've been told i make an out of this world curry lol  Red onions by using paprika and tomato ketchup are to die for with a delicious curry. I've yet to make my own mango chutney yet, i will keep you posted when i get round to making it  :smiley:

I've been told i make an out of this world curry lol  Red onions by using paprika and tomato ketchup are to die for with a delicious curry. I've yet to make my own mango chutney yet, i will keep you posted when i get round to making it  :smiley:

I am bummed. The only curry dish I like is Singapore Mei Fun. It seems to me (only me) that all of the Indian dishes taste the same with curry which burned me out.

I am bummed. The only curry dish I like is Singapore Mei Fun. It seems to me (only me) that all of the Indian dishes taste the same with curry which burned me out.

Maybe they do taste all the same but i've not made them all  :laugh:    They always come up with NEW recipes though to make them different, so maybe it is only you who thinks/feel that way. Others might post and say if they do or not.

i love to cook but i wouldn't do it as a perfection. i go to BOCES for culinary arts but i feel held back  i know some "normal" dishes but i enjoy learning some of the weirder one to like dim sum chicken feet

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0