• Announcements

• KC

Get Smart on the Web   09/16/2016

Be informed on better ways to stay safe on the web -- Source: Mozilla
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
LadyC

uncle/neice marriages made legal

This topic has had no activity within the past six months. It is recommended that you start a new topic instead of replying to old topics.

4 posts in this topic

i'm not sure which states we have on our info pages that allow marriage between an uncle and a niece. for some reason i was thinking it was colorado. but maybe i'm wrong. in any case, we need to update. occasionally we do get people here who look for laws on this type of marriage. i think the bible is a little ambiguous on this, because of OT 'kinship redeemer' rights. i think, but am not sure, that scripture allows uncles to marry nieces but not aunts to marry nephews.

regardless, rhode island permits such marriages, and now new york does also. (and i don't imagine those states differentiate between the aunt/nephew and uncle/niece)

http://nypost.com/2014/10/29/new-york-state-blesses-incest-marriage-between-uncle-niece/

That's a %25 relation, I never thought that would happen.  I especially don't think it would in the U.S.  I'm even a little worried on that one, and I'm that guy who thinks love is love, and you deserve to be with whoever you chose, because it's not really a choice. 

I guess I'm happy for lose people who are in that situation though.  Good for them, they deserve this kind of thing. 

interesting that the court determined there was no strong objection between uncle/niece marriages. that judge hasn't walked a mile in OUR shoes, because we could tell him just how strong the social objection is to even cousin marriages, which like you said, are more distant.

by the way, i think i forgot to include the link to the article before. here it is. http://nypost.com/2014/10/29/new-york-state-blesses-incest-marriage-between-uncle-niece/

i'd actually like to find the real court case documents.... the case was heard over a woman and her half uncle. i'm not sure if the law permitting the marriage applies only to half uncles and nieces or if it extends to relations of the whole blood. it looks like the reasoning behind them making this legal was that the genetic risks for this particular couple was identical to that of first cousins, which is legal in new york.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0