• Announcements

• KC

Get Smart on the Web   09/16/2016

Be informed on better ways to stay safe on the web -- Source: Mozilla
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
gotitGOOD!

I read somewhere that documented history names go back 16-17 generations but...

This topic has had no activity within the past six months. It is recommended that you start a new topic instead of replying to old topics.

7 posts in this topic

Its a possibility i guess. My cousin is married to her 2nd cousin, she's started on a family tree for the Mormon Church. Unfortunately even our family would have to pay to get a copy, might be interesting to find out though i guess, just for curiosity more than anything lol

Yep, that stat was pulled right out of the air. There is not even a citation. It's simply not true.

i don't think it's out of thin air, KC.

it seems that ottenheimer (or bittles...) once stated that throughout the history of mankind, 80% of all marriages have been between second or nearer cousins. but that's counting every marriage since the beginning of time. it seems i've also read one of them say that in certain cultures, a similar percentage of marriages are consanguineous. but that's talking about relatively small segments of the world's population.

the genealogy site should have linked to their source. i kinda think that we might have the source listed somewhere here in our info pages, because i'm quite certain i had referenced it in some of the documents that i wrote up for c.u.d.d.l.e. back in the day, and most of those are now here on this site.

It is implying that 80% of people only married 2nd cousins. They didn't include "2nd cousins or closer." I would guess that 80 percent historically have married 1c1r or closer. Many cultures have had, and still have, a 1st cousin marriage preference which skews the numbers quite a bit.

The page also states, "Why? Because the population base was smaller, people lived in small communities and migrated within those same small communities." This may be partly true, but marriage customs should have been explored. We see communities in certain countries continue to grow with no evidence that marriage between cousins are declining there in result.

valid points.... i didn't bother reading their page. sounds like maybe they heard it somewhere and then tried to make sense out of it without looking up the details so they could get it right.

I also wish that I had cited many of the claims on the website. I've been so busy doing technical work. I still haven't got the main page fixed :) When I started this website, I didn't even know what a citation was lol. Now I realize it is at least borderline plagiarism. Actually I have stated that Forbidden Relatives has more extensive information. Well that should count for something :)

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0