• Announcements

• KC

Get Smart on the Web   09/16/2016

Be informed on better ways to stay safe on the web -- Source: Mozilla
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MzUnderstood20

Married and expecting out first child

This topic has had no activity within the past six months. It is recommended that you start a new topic instead of replying to old topics.

16 posts in this topic

Hi I was wondering does anyone have kids on here who could give us advice my husband and I (firstCousins)are expecting our first child and I'm so worried about the outcome of it

Hi and welcome to cc.

There are several members that are in your situation and have healthy children.

Coloradomarried is the first that comes to mind.

Search the boards for threads relating to you inquiry.

I also think there is  sticky on either "shoot the breeze" or " help need advice"  areas.

Best wishes to you and your hubby/cousin on the impending arrival!!

When are you due and do you know yet if boy or girl??

Please stick around and keep us posted on the grand event! 

We love "baby stories" here.

Thank you so much I will be sure to do that and I don't know the gender of our baby yet but I will keep you updated for sure oh yeah and I am due in August if next year

mzunderstood, since you posted it twice, and this one has responses, i'm going to delete the other thread.

try not to worry so much. stress is not healthy for the baby! we have a lot of statistics on this here http://www.cousincouples.com/?page=overview

the crux of it is this... you have a 94-96% chance of having a perfectly normal, healthy bouncing baby. there are plenty of risks for a child to have a birth defect... and seriously, the risks for you having a child with a birth defect that is NOT a result of the father being your cousin are much higher than the risk of the child having a birth defect because the father IS your cousin.

out of all the kinds of birth defects there are, those caused by kinship are the least common. a recessive condition (the kind that affects cousins) only occurs if BOTH parents carry the same defective gene. if only one of you carries a defective recessive gene, the baby will not have the defect.

but you would be doing yourself a huge favor to talk to a doctor, or even better, get a referral to a genetic counselor. a GC can look at the family medical history and determine if there are any red flags.

MizUnderstood20?.I shared your same concerns over 14 years ago?..I now have 2 healthy beautiful children ages 13 and 11?.  Married for 14 years?relax and enjoy your pregnancy?and do not stress... :smiley:

Thank you so much purplebutterfly77 for the encouragement I had my first ultrasound today and heard the baby's heart beat it took a lot of stress off to hear that beautiful sound

Hi MzUnderstood20,

I've just had my first child with my first cousin, she's 8 months now and healthy :)

I had the same concerns also when I fell pregnant so I got the relevant tests done to check if my baby is at risk of having spinal bif, down syndrome etc and everything came back low risk. I think you can get tests done anytime before 17weeks of pregnancy. This put me at ease with everything.

My advice, enjoy your pregnancy and don't stress and if in doubt, get those tests done for your piece of mind.

I'm now blessed with a beautiful daughter and wish you all the best with your new blessing  :smiley:

My cousin and I had our baby 12 months ago and he is beyond healthy and smart. I had all the same concerns and got all relevant testing done, and we even spoke with a genetics counselor who assured us that there is the same risk as a woman in her 40's having a child, basically. Dont stress, enjoy your pregnancy :)

Hi all.

It's nice to hear of all the healthy babies born into cousin relationships. I am currently 12 weeks pregnant to my partner and second cousin. When I raised my concern to my midwife I was put completely at ease so am able to enjoy my remaining months of pregnancy....esp now the sickness has ceased!

Congratulations enjoy your pregnancy and your new baby xxx

I have 2 beautiful babies with my 1st cousin. I had many concerns during my 2 pregnancies. I had some family say some harsh comments during my 1st pregnancy. Thank God I have 2 healthy babies. I wish I would've had the courage to tell my DR but I didn't so the moment I gave birth and laid my eyes on my babies. Was a huge relief. ???? New to this website and nice to be able to comfort someone who I know their exact feelings.

My husband and I have 2 healthy children in middle school. They are both advanced academically, and also talented in music and art. They are both healthy, tall and beautiful. I am so unbelievably proud of my children. I couldn't imagine my life any other way. My children are well loved by the entire family and we have plenty of close friends that are aware that my husband and I are cousins. My kids figured out themselves early in elementary school that our fathers are brothers, since our grandparents are still alive and well. While you might feel like you have extra fears because you are in a relationship with your cousin, the truth is that almost all women fear a less than perfect pregnancy and for the health of their new baby. It is quite possible to have the same level of caution and care, and even go through genetic counseling if you wish, without ever disclosing your cousin relationship. If anything, our family's love for our children has made them even more accepting of our relationship. Good luck!

Thanks Smiles for sharing your story and thank you Lucy as well both of u ladies are of great encouragement and put my mind at ease.

Very small chance of birth defects, glad your not worrying and your mind is at ease  :smiley:

nessa76

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0