• Announcements

• KC

Get Smart on the Web   09/16/2016

Be informed on better ways to stay safe on the web -- Source: Mozilla
LoveRulesAll

What is the breakdown of kinship in our relationships?

This topic has had no activity within the past six months. It is recommended that you start a new topic instead of replying to old topics.

For those that actually are involved, what degree of kinship is your partner?   7 members have voted

1. 1. For those that actually are involved, what degree of kinship is your partner?

• 1st Cousins
    • 2nd Cousins
    • 3rd Cousins
    • 4th Cousins
    • 1st Cousins once removed
    • 2nd Cousins once removed
    • 3rd Cousins once removed
    • 1st Cousins twice removed
    • 2nd Cousins twice removed

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

6 posts in this topic

It seems that while any level of kinship has a tendency to be viewed negatively (in The States), closer degrees can bring about more heat from the unsupportive people in the world.

Since I'm involved in a 1st Cousin relationship, it gives me the feeling that it is has highest chances to bring the top degree of negativity from my large family. I'm extremely appreciative of the support I have from the two people in my family I HAVE told, though (both of which are on my mother's side, as I expect the resistance to come from my father's side, which is also the shared side).

This lead me to become curious at the breakdown of kinship in the relationships that come here to this site. I obviously can't cover all the levels in the poll, but there are enough options to provide interesting data if people are willing to respond =)

I provided the ability to vote up-to three times, in case people have been in more than one relationship with cousins and would like to respond more than once.

I agree. It seems like 1st cousins get it the worst, although there is prejudice across the board. My cousin is my first cousin and the reaction would be pretty bad... So I hide my feelings very well when other people are around.

I agree. It seems like 1st cousins get it the worst, although there is prejudice across the board. My cousin is my first cousin and the reaction would be pretty bad... So I hide my feelings very well when other people are around.

I'd say 1st cousins get it the worst too. Although i have read negative comments over the internet regarding 2nd cousins but ignorence is all over the spectrum unfortunately Lol

Glad you hide your feelings well from people around, something i need a lesson in i think Lol

I'm glad to be hearing replies, to go along with votes :)

In response to the need to hide relationships:

In the beginning, my lady and I were both on the same page of absolute secrecy, but as time went on and I settled more into the "my happiness is in my hands, not the opinions of others" state of mind, I got to where I couldn't care less about anyone's opinion and would be willing to have a completely open conversation with anyone about it. It is each person's place to cope with how they feel about their child or friend's decisions, not the child or friend's place to live their life based around how other people may feel about it. But my lady isn't to that point yet (we strongly believe a number of our shared family will be quite against it, so are in no hurry to let it out to them yet) and I completely understand and support her, so only a few select people know (ones I knew would be completely supportive, and having them in our corner is a major boost).

I'm glad to be able to join in honest, intelligent discussion here  :smiley:

I'd say 1st cousins get it the worst too. Although i have read negative comments over the internet regarding 2nd cousins but ignorence is all over the spectrum unfortunately Lol

Glad you hide your feelings well from people around, something i need a lesson in i think Lol

Lol! :P

Unfortunately, yeah - ignorance is rampant.... Kinda ironic, if you ask me. We are the stupid, backwards ones, they claim!  :rolleyes:

LoveRulesAll, I'm glad that you have a couple of supportive people around you guys!

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor