• Announcements

• KC

Get Smart on the Web   09/16/2016

Be informed on better ways to stay safe on the web -- Source: Mozilla
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
luna

our family is against us, what should we do?

This topic has had no activity within the past six months. It is recommended that you start a new topic instead of replying to old topics.

2 posts in this topic

I'm 20 years old, and he's 19. I'm a year and 1 month older than him.

Everything started in the summer of 2012, when I was 17 and he was 16. He lives in Nicaragua and I in the US. he grew up with our family, I didn't, I just visisted them during the summers.  His dad and my mom are siblings.

We started flirting and eventually confessed to each other in Sept. of that year what we felt. and decided to start a long distance relationship. Little by little family members *in nicaragua) started to find out about us, and they started to spread rumors. many of them which are lies, (they've distorted the truth) him and I deny them that we have anything but they don't believe us. it's been almost 3 years and our family doesn't talk to me very much, his parents don't talk to me. and they don't talk to him either much....

my mom says if it were true everything they say it would be a betrayal.

what should we do?

you are adults. your parents can only control you as much as you give them the power to do so. the two of you have to make a choice, and unfortunately, nobody here can make that choice for you.

most of the time parents will eventually accept what they can't control, so if you choose to stay together, the odds are that once the parents figure out they aren't going to break you up, they'll get over it. but it won't be easy in the meantime. and in fact, the family will probably continue objecting until after you get married, IF you get married. are the two of you able to withstand that?

i know it has been three years, but you're both still very, very young. maybe you just need to give it some more time.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0