• Announcements

• KC

Get Smart on the Web   09/16/2016

Be informed on better ways to stay safe on the web -- Source: Mozilla
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MarQuita15

Help!!

This topic has had no activity within the past six months. It is recommended that you start a new topic instead of replying to old topics.

17 posts in this topic

Well, me and my first cousin have been messing around with each other for months until I got pregnant by him. I'm very scared because I heard that first cousins will have a baby that's not normal and will have birth defects. I want my baby to be healthy. Is there anybody that had a baby with their first cousin??

your baby is most likely going to be fine. yes, plenty of people who have come here over the years have children with their first cousin. i think in 16 years, we've had two that had problems, and one of those was unlikely an issue that resulted from their kinship.

we have some really good information on this site regarding birth defects. here's the link: http://www.cousincouples.com/?page=overview i wrote those two pages (follow the link on the bottom of the first page to the second), and i can promise you i spent a lot of years researching it. i was mentored by some of the world's leading genetics experts while researching it... robin bennet, the former president of the national society of genetic counselors, and alan bittles of the centre for comparitive genomics (australia).  check out his credentials here, and how many papers he has written on consanguinity (cousin marriage): https://scholar.google.com/citations?user=qq_e0HgAAAAJ&hl=en

in a nutshell, there are several categories or types of birth defects. the ONLY one type of birth defect influenced by kinship is called the autosomal recessive ones. those just happen to be the least common of all types of birth defects. unrelated couples have a 3% risk of having a child with a birth defect (any type). first cousins have a slightly higher risk factor... the increase over unrelated couples is 1.4 to 2.8%.

so that means that you have approximately a 95% chance of having a perfectly normal, healthy baby.

(and it means that if you were not related, you'd have a 97% chance of having a perfectly normal, healthy baby. not much difference there, is it?)

it would be a good idea, though, to put your fears to rest. your primary care physician can refer you to a genetic counselor, and their services are usually covered by insurance. a genetic counselor can look over your family medical history (on both sides) and determine if there are any red flags. and if there are any concerns, a simple blood test can often rule those in or out.

:)

Thank you so much. I've been doing research and most websites was saying the baby will be healthy but people tell me that something will be wrong with her. I let my midwife know about my situation and she said I'm at greater risk but she said my baby is doing good right now. I Really won't know until she is born.

well she's right... you are at a greater risk. but only at less than 3% greater. not really enough to lose sleep over.

Well I can't wait until I finally see her. My due date is April 13th. And thank you.

oh, that's really soon! i hope you'll share pics when she's born!

sure, on here! we have a thread for posting pics. of course, not everybody is comfortable doing that, so it's ok if you don't want to.

Yeah, I don't think I'm comfortable doing that. But if you want me to personally send you one, I can. Do you have a kik??

i guess not, i don't even know what  a kik is!

Kik is a chatting app on Google play. Lots of people use it, you can send pics, chat, all that good stuff. All you have to do is make a user, and your set. Also good luck with the baby

Is there any way I can send the picture to you privately??

you can attach it to a private message :)

Kik is a chatting app on Google play. Lots of people use it, you can send pics, chat, all that good stuff. All you have to do is make a user, and your set. Also good luck with the baby

Thank you. :)

should be able to from your cell i would think. i don't know for sure. look to the left of this post. do you see three little icons? one looks like a little man, one looks like an envelope, and the third looks like a quote-bubble. can you click the third icon? if not, try scrolling to the top of the page and click "my messages" and try sending one from there.

should be able to from your cell i would think. i don't know for sure. look to the left of this post. do you see three little icons? one looks like a little man, one looks like an envelope, and the third looks like a quote-bubble. can you click the third icon? if not, try scrolling to the top of the page and click "my messages" and try sending one from there.

Ok, thank you. I'll try to send you a picture as soon as she is born. I can't wait until I finally get to see my little munchkin. I can also make a post letting everyone who had worries like me know that their baby will be healthy as soon as she is born also.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0